View Single Post
Old 12-26-2003, 11:59 AM

okay,,,,i read how you make the leather sheath hard,,,and some of what you have posted seems to be way way different than what I have been doing...

so I need advice for my system, and what you guess my system for leather treatments will do to my sheaths in the long term...

what I do is make the pouch sheath , my sheath is the very same design that Ed Fowler has, infact it was Ed who sent me many emails on how to cut and stitch the sheath.

But, once I am finished with the sheath, I dunk it in a hot wax/bees wax/mink oil, bath.

The bath is in a doubble boil pan with water under the top pan, I heat the bath up to the point where all the wax and stuff is runny..I have gloves on so I can hold the leather in the hot wax/oil bath for a long time, turning the sheath in the bath and filling it and dumping it out over and over.

when the leather is real soft, I place the plastic-wrapped knife into the sheath a few times, forming the mouth of the sheath to be wide enough for the kinfe to fit into it.

I hang the sheath with the knife still inside it untill it cools and is hard.

about every 15 min I test the sheath's fit on the blade, pulling the blade in and out a few times.

The next morning the sheath is ROCK HARD,,and the knife now will make a cool Poping sound when you take it out or place it back into the sheath.

QUESTION,,,,so far I like the way the leather both looks and feels, but in the long term, will my system need to change?

(The reason this is an important question for me is that Im now in the middle of posting a toturial on how to make a sheath, The last thing I will post here will be on the topic of harding the sheath,,,I need to make sure that while my system might be a bit different than others, that it WILL NOT cause a long term harm to a sheath)

Last edited by DaQo'tah; 12-26-2003 at 12:03 PM.