View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
WOW, I had no idea this was such a diverse topic!

I agree with all the ideas on professionally stabilized wood. I want the best available for my customers. BUT, I also want to see what I can do on my own, guess its just the kid in me wanting to play!

I do not expect to achieve the results one can get with WSSI or K&G. As for price, Ive had the vacuum pump for several years, and the Acraloid was $35. What I AM hoping to be able to do is to be able to make a handle material that is water resistant, allows for the natural beauty of the wood to show, and is something I can reproduce with good results. I am focusing on a mid range affordable kitchen line that while from quality materials can be produced at a price that isnt scary to home cooks. Will I succeed? Hopefully, will it be the absolute best product for this application, probably not. But it is something that will pass my quality control in areas of durability, and water resistance that will work well in a kitchen environment. I don't think I am looking for the magic bullet here, just hoping that I an reproduce something that has a reasonable balance between performance and beauty while not being cost prohibitive.

I have a large collection of un stabilized wood that I will try a portion my way and if it don't work, then to the pros it goes!

I will try to be as scientifically objective as possible on this and will record my results. I like Ray have no ambition to re invent the wheel or fall off the track at the same place as others have, and greatly appreciate all the input, both positive and negative.

Having said all this i want to ask you folks about some additives to the soup.

Would Danish oil mix with acetone? And in doing so would it lose any of its hardening properties?

Im going to be playing with the acraloid and wood hardener, but thinking that I may add to it a bit, and play with the volumes also.

Again, lets keep bouncing ideas around! And all comments and opinions are more than welcome!!

Ill post as things develop!

Thanks and God Bless
Mike