Thread: Best glue
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Acetone will clean up epoxy that has not completely set. It's so volatile that you can wipe something off with it and it's pretty much gone.

If I'm mounting wood slabs on a full tang blade without a guard, I finish the portion of the wood that contacts the metal nearest the blade. Partly because that's the only way to get the wood done well and partly so that the wood is sealed and the glue can't get into the wood. Sometimes there's a little overflow to clean up, but it's not too hard. (I find that the little wire brush for the Dremel - which is otherwise pretty useless - works pretty good at stripping out a line of epoxy.) The rest of the wood is sanded and finished after the glue up is done. Any glue overflow around the sides or pins is lost in sanding. On occasion there are large blobs, which I will cut off to save sanding. (Get enough glue there Bubba?)

Actually, you always want some overflow. Otherwise you'll end up with gaps or holes.

Some people mix fine sawdust with the epoxy so that it will have the same color as the wood. I don't do that because I clamp the snot out of my knives to make a very thin glue layer.