View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messinger
Guys, I just built a Warner/Crawford style etcher and wanted to ask for recommendations on technique for etching my mark. Pad dampness, pad pressure, how long to keep pad on the piece per cycle, that sort of thing. I just tried it out last night and although I have a crisp stencil the mark is a little fuzzy. I'm using IMG electrolyte and stencil. More pressure? Less pressure? Dryer pad? I've got my learnin' ears on.

-Ben
Ben, mount the pad using a rubber band, put two or 3 spots of electrolyte on the pad, and dab it on a paper towel a few times until the pad is evenly damp, not wet.

Tape your stencil on the blade using black electricians tape.

I can't recommend how much current to set your unit on since I'm not familiar with it.

To etch:

Ground the blade, turn on the DC current, and hold the pad firmly in place for about 10 to 15 seconds. remove the pad and look at the stencil. ALL of the white mark on the stencil must be black. If not, then do it again, maybe applying pressure in a slightly different spot. The idea is to make all the white turn black and stick to the blade.

To mark after etching: (applies the black oxide in the stencil back into the blade)

Set unit on AC and dab stencil several times 2 or 3 seconds at a time.

Reverse the current and mark the blade by dabbing the stencil for a couple of seconds several times.