MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

Question Best glue

What is the best glue for oily woods such as cocobola ? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:24 AM

I have used the devcon 2 ton 24 hour cure with good success but I always cleaned the glue side of the wood well with acetone immidiately before applying the glue.
Hope that helps.
Steve

Old 07-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

best glue

Appreciate that--I was pondering the use of polyurethane glue if epoxy didn`t do it--Thanks.

Old 07-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
My personal favorite for gluing anything is Accra-Glass from Brownell's. As long as you clean the surfaces prior to applying it, I don't think theres anything that it won't bond.
The other good points for Accra-Glass versus normal "epoxies" are as follows...
-Accra-Glass is truely water-proof, even the two ton expoy from devcon which claims to be water-proof is not.
-Accra-Glass has a 10 year shelf life, and a 50 year hold life.(meaning that you can have an opened bottle of resin or hardener on your shelf for 10 years and still use it, and once it's mixed/set, it will not begin to break down for 50 years) Devcon type epoxies have a 6 month shelf life (from date of production), and only a 5 year hold life.
- I've experiemented with Accra-Glass by gluing handles on hidden tangs and then once they set up, have taken a hammer to the handle. I can bust the handle materal away, but the wad of Accra-Glass stays on the tang......about the only way to remove it is to either grind it, or burn it off.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Master

Wow, that stuff sounds even better then JBweld. What does it look like when it dries, for example on slab handles?

Old 07-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Steel Addict

I agree with Ed. I have been using AcraGlass on guns for years and know its worth. I get mine from Brownells and have used it for knife handles a lot. Just don't add the glass "floss" Lately, I have been using their epoxy called AcraWeld. Works just like ordinary epoxy, but I trust it more.

Old 07-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Accra-Glass is a slow setting epoxy and it dries clear (or relatively so). I've used it to glass bed rifles and it works pretty well.

Generally speaking, the slower setting the epoxy, the more waterproof it is. Of course, no matter how good the glue is, if water soaks into the wood - or if the metal corrodes - it will not hold. I don't know that Accra-Glass is really any different from any other good slow setting epoxy, but I would not dare to disagree with Ed's judgement.

Polyurethanes are started by having the surfaces wet. That doesn't work easily on metal. They're pretty sticky, and harden well, but I have yet to see a "poly" that cured clear. I've used it for woodworking - for example gluing together boards for a work bench top. Some overflow got on the concrete and set up. Amazing how tough the stuff is.

The glue itself is not as important as the technique of gluing. That is to say that 1) good surface prep (on both surfaces), 2) good mixing of the glue, 3) good, tight, even clamping, and 4) plenty of set-up time. One more thing: seal the wood (or whatever your slabs are made of). Most of the furniture you sit on is held together with some variation of the Elmer's glue that grade school kids use for poster projects. It has a lot more stress than a knife handle (esp. with my butt), but no knifemaker in his right mind would use Elmers. Conversely, I've seen people repair chairs with epoxy - but they fall apart because they didn't apply it correctly.

Superglue may very well be the strongest glue, but it doesn't allow for much thickness. Epoxy and polyurethane have some ability to fill in a thick area. Epoxy dries clear (or can be colored) and is pretty forgiving with respect to the surfaces involved. So pick a good, slow setting epoxy and apply it carefully.

Tags
blade, knife, knives