MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered

Can you help me identify this knife?

Hey all,

So my sister was dating a guy and they broke up. She had some furniture she didnt want so I grabbed it. In one of the drawers was this knife. My neighbor said it was a nice knife and I did some research. Its some kind of Randall Knife(obviously).. just my curiosity is getting the better of me and I need to know more.

http://i.imgur.com/RipiY51.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9lYUj4H.jpg

It does have some awful looking scarring on both sides of the blade. I have no experience with knives but I know it doesnt look right. Im not sure what caused the scarring. Also the green stuff is a melted candle on it as I havent cleaned her up yet. I looked through their catalog and couldnt quite find anything that matched the look of this one though many things looked similar. The back of the sheath has the number 36 on it if that helps. Also on the butt of the handle it looks like some kind of button or icon has fallen off. It does clearly have some damage but I would like to know what I have. If anyone could help that would be great.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM

Hi!

Thanks for you question.

Your knife is indeed a Randall! It's a "Hunter", model #3, with a carbon steel 6 inch long blade (hence the numbers 3 6 on the back of the sheath), a brass hilt and a stag handle. The "green stuff" on the hilt is verdigris from the knife having been in contact with the tight stitch Johnson rough-back leather sheath. The five spacers (red-white-grey-white-red) between the hilt and the handle indicates that the knife was made during the period 1978 to the early 1980's. Your photos don't show the butt, however it is likely that the hole you see is where a small plug was inserted.

This knife was no safe queen and looks like it had quite a career. I think someone took a belt grinder to it, judging from marks on the blade. I'm afraid this and the overall condition means you have an "interesting" Randall, which you may wish to keep as user.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

David

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Registered

Thanks brother appreciate your time.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 AM

You're most welcome!

Enjoy your "new" knife, and don't worry about scratching it up.

Cheers!

David

Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Skilled

lordy, it looks like someone took a grinding wheel to a Randall........who would do such a thing
Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 AM

That poor knife! Who in the world would do that to a knife, much less a custom knife!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Skilled

AGGHHH!!!!! Thats like drawing a mustache on the Mona Frikkin Lisa!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM

Randalls were designed and built to be used ever since Bo filed on his first blade in 1937. If I had to guess what model was actually used more than any other over the intervening years, it would be a 6" Hunter. Those grind marks (or whatever they are) do not compromise form, fit or function as far as use is concerned. The knife will perform as well as a mint safe queen. There is something "soul lifting" about not having to worry about messin' up a purty blade when a knife is needed. As my bud Moosehead says "Enjoy your "new" knife, and don't worry about scratching it up"!

Ron
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Registered

I live 1 hour from Orlando. Do any of you think it would be worth repairing? Is it possible to even repair with the kind of damage that is on it? If its worth attempting to have repaired.. I would gladly bring it to their store and have the work done. I should also remind you guys that I know very little about knives. Truth be told I got this knife for free. My sister and her ex boyfriend had a very ugly breakup and this is his knife I believe but didnt want it. He was a pretty shady dude if you catch my drift. She gave it to me because she didnt want to associate with any of his things. So I came across it and knowing now that these are very coveted knives I wouldnt be opposed to fixing her up. Thanks again guys.. great forum and very helpful people.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Take the model #3 to the shop and ask if it can be rehabilitated. I'm afraid the scratches may be so deep that they would have to remove too much metal making the blade too weak to be viable. Either way they will tell you and nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Enthusiast

my opinion it is worth having the shop spiff up, or just spiff it yourself.....it is a beautiful cool knife.....the shop can certainly make it look great even if heaviest marks remain, it will still look like a knife with history.....you will be able to use and enjoy the knife a lot more, which is the true point of owning one....shop costs will be minimal, if you can afford the gas to drive over or the insured postage there and back, you can afford the work...

Tags
back, bee, blade, brass, custom, custom knife, grinding, handle, hunter, knife, knives, leather, leather sheath, made, make, making, randall, sheath, spacers, stag, steel, stitch, store