MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 11-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Skilled

Tom Dehart (Pistol Pete) Passes.......

Just got an email from Tom DeHarts wife that he had passed away on the first of November.# Tom was a long time member and a friend. He had been in ill health for a# few years and finally Heart Failure and Kidney Failure took him. He was a retired Houston Texas Police Officer.# RIP.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:29 PM

Hi Bill!

I'm sorry to hear this sad news. My condolences to you and Tom's wife.

Tom was a real Randall man. His user name on this forum was Tom D.

David

Old 11-03-2016, 09:59 PM
Skilled

I'm so sorry to hear this about Tom Dehart.

I have been in periodic communication with Tom the last few years. But in the last few weeks we exchanged many messages and I pointed him back to this board when he expressed disgust with the other offerings on the internet. He recently told me he liked to read this board because of the civility and the depth of the collecting information. He posted here just a month or so ago in the Delrin line, and I have E-mails from him within the last 2-3 weeks. I was looking forward to visiting him when next in Houston after Christmas. Sadly that will not happen now.

Tom was a RMK collector from at least the 1980s and was one of the old guard so to speak who had a LOT of really nice specimens. If you read the account of dealer, Kenny Young in the Delrin line, Tom was the source who sent me that story and pictures. He took great pleasure in having that story posted here as a memorial to his friend.

If you read the first few issues of the RKS newsletters from 1990-91, you will find letters and commentary by Tom which continued throughout the publishing. He did not like some of the bigger self-promoters in the Randall collecting hobby and was banned on KTF for a while because he wouldn't suffer the dictates of the rulers. But that didn't stop his contribution to knowledge of the lore of Randalls. He was always willing to help me on any questions I posed. And his dry sense of humor and straight forward Texas way of expressing himself was always refreshing.

I visited Tom in his home a couple of years ago and bought that matched set of 1-8 and 2-8 Delrin knives from him (which started my Delrin interest). I found that Tom was also collector of many other things besides Randalls... cards, military patches, a huge number of firearms, etc. And lots of just stuff.... he never threw anything away apparently.

He was interested in Randalls to the last and despite dialysis, cataracts, etc., his collecting interest did not flag. He sold off a good portion of his Randall collection, but just last year he acquired a 8-4 in memory of his friend Kenny Young. The hobby of Randall collecting will miss Tom. I will miss Tom, and we all have lost a good man and source of historical information. RIP Tom.

Last edited by Jacknola; 11-03-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:11 AM

Great post, Jack. Tom and I have exchanged e-mails for many years and I considered him a good friend. Here is a pic of Tom back in March on his golden anniversary:

RIP My Friend
Old 11-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Great photo...

RIP Tom!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
back, bee, collecting, collector, guard, hobby, home, knives, man, military, pistol, post, randall