MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:12 PM
Registered

I am about to commit a sacrilege. I want to cut my benchmade 200 puuko in half

I am not a knife maker. But I want this blade in a pocket knife. I am a fairly handy person and I want to give this a go. I have other fixed blade knives that I like better and I would just rather have this in a flipper. The reason I want to do this, is to have a scandivex supersteel in my pocket. Its made of 3v and Ive already reground the blade. I just dont use it and I would like to. Some would understand this. Some would think Im crazy. Its not a common place item.

I have recently fallen in love with bark river knives and so the benchmade will be the sacrifice here. So, the question is how would you all go about this? I have an old osbourne that I can strip for parts. Liner lock. I can work new handles in my wood shop. I believe by the size of the osbourne, I could take out the tension bar and I would have enough room for the new blade.

What do you think?
Old 12-13-2020, 12:15 PM
Registered

I forgot to mention that the two knives I want to ruin are the same thickness.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:50 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Have you ever taken a liner lock apart to see how they function? If not, you should do that before you begin your project. If you don't have a liner lock that is put together with screws (most are) then you can buy a cheap liner lock kit just to see the guts and how they go together. No way to be sure what the tang looks like on your puuko until you get the handles off but whatever is under the handles is what you will have to use to try and match the tang geometry on your liner lock...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-18-2020, 06:20 PM
Registered

Hey thanks for the info. After studying the mechanics further, I am now leaning more towards my bark river adventurer because it seems like it would fit better.

the knife I am taking apart is a liner lock. I wish I could buy a lockback kit or something that I know will work before I go cutting on this very expensive knife. Is there a good place I should go for more info on making pocket knives?
Old 12-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

For kits: knifekits.com

For info on liner locks: www.rayrogers.com/ftutorial.htm

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
bark river, benchmade, blade, ca, common, fixed, fixed blade, flipper, folding knife, handles, hunting knife, kit, kits, knife, knives, liner lock, lock, made, pocket, pocket knife, question, shop, tang, thickness, wood