MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Stag Handles

What type of Stag does Randall use? Is AAA rated Sambar an option or all the stag handles AAA rated Sambar?
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Neup, Randall uses its own supply of Sambar antlers for all knives produced with stag handles. However, customers may supply their own Sambar if it meets the right sizing requirements.

Would you explain what "AAA rated Sambar" is, as I can't find any information about this classification.

Thanks!

David

Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Stag

A seller on the internet made a big deal about triple A rated {AAA} Sambar stag and said it was an option on his knife. I could not tell a difference with any other stag knife handles from Randall. My knowledge is very limited,so I wanted to ask.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Randall is the largest importer of Sambar Stag in the USA. While some pieces may be "better" than others (a subjective opinion at best) there are no grading or classifications of Stag other than by size. When a Stag handle is required to fill an order, the craftsman reaches into one of three barrels, small, medium or large and grabs an appropriately sized piece of Stag. The customer may not specify any particular type, style or quality of Stag. You get what you get unless you supply the Stag. One caveat, if you supply the Stag there will be an installation charge, depending on the model, of between $20.00 and $55.00 and your Stag will not be covered under the Randall warrantee.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast

I have been very pleased with the stag i have gotten to date. the handles fit the hand very well. people's ideas of what is needed for stag to be great has changed over the years. and much of it on the impractical exhibition side of things to where the handle is useless as far as function goes, a splayed giant mushroom covered with barnacles.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Neup, thanks for clearing that up. So in other words, triple A rated stag is actually a knife purveyor's marketing pitch!

Rick, you're right that opinions about stag are subjective. However there is probably a consensus amongst snobby stag connoisseurs like myself as to what constitutes ugly stag.

mntgunr, I think gnarly stag can make a great knife handle. Unlike Micarta, or stacked leather I find it provides a great no-slip grip.

Here's one of my favourite #1's which was crafted in 1991. The stag was customer supplied. It has a nickle silver hilt and butt cap and is perfectly balanced. In the hand, it feels light as a feather.

Folks, let's see some of your favourite stag handled Randalls (young or old)!

Cheers!

David

P.S. I'll be sure to show you more stag handles soon, both shop and cutomer supplied.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

personally i think rough handles have no place on any tool which will be used hard, they may be no-slip for lighter duty, but they would put a handle like gnarly stag on hammers and shovels if they were great, but the truth is they would eat the hand alive....truthfully, it seems most of the gorgeous gnarly knives are used very little, if at all....

But, you and i might agree on what makes the perfect woman, but we will never agree as to what makes the perfect knife. a for-instance is that i feel the Astro is the best general purpose/hard-use knife that Randall makes. sales numbers say i am in an extreme minority, but i wouldn't trade my Astro for any three other Randalls.

I think Rick said something along the lines of why did he take so long to get a carver? i certainly feel the same way. if you like knives, and like Randalls, the carver is for you. your only regret will be not being able to take it more places. very good stag for a user, shaped perfectly for the hand. and it is used constantly, far more versatile than one would think.

Last edited by mtngunr; 08-31-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:23 PM

I think that's a gorgeous piece of stag on your carver but just to play devil's advocate for a moment... you asserted that "rough handles have no place on any tool which will be used hard". Initially I was inclined to agree with your statement regarding tools for rough use and offer this rebuttal. A knife, especially a hunting/skinning knife, is not designed nor intended for "hard" use but rather used with finesse for a specific task. This task often involves the tool being covered in blood, guts and grease and would certainly benefit from the positive, non-slip handle provided by heavily figured stag.
As for other hand tools, if you think about it, most have been designed to mitigate slipping with shape, materials, checkering, or knurling to name a few. Imagine using a hammer without a flared butt! I'll take the knobby stag if I'm really using my Skinner for the purpose for which it was intended.... and it looks good too!
Having said all that I respect your opinion. That's why I said "nice stag" is subjective...... there's a butt for every chair!

Last edited by Rick Bowles; 08-31-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

yep, no doubt traction is good when hand covered in blood.....nice touch on the ladybug.....did you get a modeling release from her?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:04 PM

Since I started the thread, I will jump in. I am a surgeon and have not seen any surgical instruments done in stag. Surgery does require some finesse, and there can be blood involved. Perhaps we have inadvertently stumbled on to something. A new set of surgical instruments done in Sambar Stag.
It of course will be AAAA rated stag. I just created a four A rating superior to the tripple A rating used in knives. Please send all new designs to me to try out before we go to manufacturing.
Thanks!

Neup
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 PM

I would imagine the latex gloves on a smooth stainless steel surface provide a good deal of traction and tactility. Besides, I'm not sure how well a natural material like stag would tolerate an autoclave and I doubt even the 250? pressurized steam could clean all the nooks and crannies of a stag handle.... but it's a thought!

PS. I must confess that I photoshopped the ladybug
Old 09-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

This is the only Stag Randall I have. I posted these pics in the Gallery, but this thread is a good excuse to post 'em again.

My Model 27 Miniature Trailblazer:

Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
PS. I must confess that I photoshopped the ladybug
aha. lawyers are even now tracking her down in reference to this post. hope your website malpractice is paid up. my earlier comments about stag being too rough for a user bear a little excusing.

i have spent my life in the woods or military, and every knife is looked at through the jaundiced eye of utility/combat/survival/food-processing, and probably in that order. my first thought when looking at a handle is how would my hand be after clearing brush or splitting kindling, only secondary or tertiary would be skinning and kitchen chores.

i forget other people actually and primarily use their knives for those latter two, and that they might not have a clue where i am coming from since i didn't bother to tell them. of COURSE a nice stag handle is great for skinning or slicing. of COURSE i find them deficient because i would likely split one hacking on a limb. of COURSE i am overjoyed when i find a knife such as the Astro which can hack a limb, and slice tomato or skin a deer and never bend, break, splinter, chip, or crack. but that doesn't mean anybody else is.

Gorgeous stag, guys. I have a nice little stainless 5-4 coming for the wife for her smaller kitchen knife, very pleasingly shaped stag for a user, and i know she'll be glad it is not my Astro, even though she actually loves it and remarks it reminds her of an off-limits-kitchen-knife of her youth which belonged to her grandmother.

Last edited by mtngunr; 09-04-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTHN2LGS View Post
This is the only Stag Randall I have.

My Model 27 Miniature Trailblazer:

the full size and the mini are probably the two best looking knives they make, and you certainly have one.

Tags
bee, craftsman, forge, hammer, hand, handle, hunting, knife, knife handle, knives, leather, made, make, material, materials, micarta, pitch, randall, skinning, stag, stainless steel, steel, supply, tools