MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 12-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Steel Addict

David

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this post. You have some great memorabilia, reference material and photos, as well.

Although I was not really close to Rhett, I did buy knives from him. We always had a good conversation at the Blade Show and we talked a few times on the phone. All the good he did for "we" RMK collectors, will never be repeated, IMO. There was no doubt he was passionate about RMK and for the time and effort he put into the RKS, I will be forever thankful. He was a great person and I miss him.

I am saddened that the RKS could not be continued. Moreover, may we never forget Rhett and all he has done for us

Last edited by clk; 12-03-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Been a while since I've been here..well done David!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:40 AM

Hi all!

I would like to thank Rex B., Ken L., Rod B and CDNWIDE, as well as my fellow moderators for their posts, helping to remember a true icon in the world of Randall knife collecting.

It is exactly one year to the day since I spoke to Rhett for the very last time, and I thought it would be appropriate to share our conversation with you.

When I called, Rhett was in very good spirits despite sounding a little weak from the treatments he was undergoing. There was a snowstorm raging outside, and the Meadows of Dan were under a carpet of drifting white powder, so naturally Rhett and Janie were glad to be tucked inside their cozy home. However at one point their dog decided that nature was calling, and Rhett had to interrupt our talk to go out with him into the swirling snow. After the pooch had done his business Rhett called me back and we resumed our conversation...

Rhett was looking forward to being well enough to go to the spring knife shows he and Janie were planning to attend. The Blade Show in Atlanta was to have been the highlight, which included the annual Randall Knife Society meeting. Sadly it was not to be.

He also expressed his hope that the new year would bring more friendly exchanges on his RKS forum, where intolerance had become a problem.
At one point Rhett, who grew up in the rural region of eastern Kentucky, mentioned that his coal miner father had always warned him that there were three groups that you really had to watch out for: "Blacks, Catholics and Jews". Rhett told me that when he was a young man attending university to study chemical engineering, he he was exposed to all three of these "dangerous" types of folks. In no time at all he discovered that despite their obvious differences, these people were just like him!

This recollection really showed me what a great man Rhett truly was!

I will always remember Rhett and I miss his presence on the Randall scene.

Cheers!

David

Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Steel Addict

I am new to this forum, I would like to ask a question without appearing rude.

But, I sitting here and trying to figure out whether to ask it, or first get your opinion.

We all know Rhett and others in the forum can never be replaced. Their dedication, their passion, honesty, wiliness to listen to all opinions and yes sometimes obstinacy sets them apart for the rest.

I wish we all could be viewed that way.

Sry about the preaching!

My question was why the RKS could not be continued ?

Jeff
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 AM

Hi Jeff!

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post!

Your question as to "...why the RKS could not be continued..." is a good one. The society is a Stidham family endeavour and we are therefore unable to answer it. We hope you and other concerned folks will understand.

Sincerely,

David, Rick and Ron
Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Steel Addict

Thank You, for both the Welcome and the Response..

I did not realize that RKS was a strictly a family thing, I respect that.

Again, I meant no disrespect, I was just wondering if it was a monetary thing. If that had been the case and not a family matter, maybe we could have helped continue the great work.

Jeff
Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Registered

Very sorry to hear this. My respects to the family. I was a RKS member and still have most of my newsletters Rhett sent.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Well... Rather than rolling over in his grave over what's happened to the RKS and the old forum, today Rhett is doing hand springs! His beloved Kentucky Wildcats won the NCAA championship. He would have been thrilled!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:48 AM

Hi all!

Today marks the fourth anniversary of Rhett's passing. Let's all take a moment to remember a man who made an enormous contribution to Randall collectors the world over. Rhett's passion for knives of all kinds was infectious and his Randall Knife Society did plenty to encourage and educate folks about these cool blades. His presence on the RMK scene is still missed! Rest in peace.

For those who have not seen this tribute or are new the the world of Randalls, have a look at this thread.

Cheers!

David

Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Thanks, David. The more time that goes by after Rhett's passing, the more I fully appreciate what he did for everything and everyone "Randall". I don't think those shoes can ever be filled. The good parts are that we had him with us for a long time and his legacy will be with us forever.

RIP Mr. Stidham.........
Old 04-23-2015, 08:09 PM

David,

You beat me to the punch! I think of Rhett often and I can't help but wonder what he would think of his legacy. RIP my friend.

Rick Bowles
Old 04-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Skilled

I 'm certain I would have enjoyed his company had I had the privilege of knowing him... He must have been a heck of a guy to have commanded enough respect from the community to effectively referee this hobby. I have really enjoyed reading his posts in the archives of his old forum.

It is a bit of a shame to occasionally experience a level of discord when discussing vintage RMKs on line. I recently joined an illustrious group by being banned on another forum for reasons that are unclear to me ... but to be fair perhaps I missed something (?) No matter, I can still put my findings here.

RIP Rhett

Last edited by Jacknola; 04-27-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknola View Post
I 'm certain I would have enjoyed his company had I had the privilege of knowing him... He must have been a heck of a guy to have commanded enough respect from the community to effectively referee this collecting hobby. I have enjoyed his posts in the archives of his old forum.

It is a shame to see what has happened in the hobby, especially on "his" forum. I recently joined an illustrious group by being banned over there, for reasons that are unclear... but perhaps I missed something. Only thing that occurs to me was some documented commentary on dating a Bowie/King Faisal set I posted (I thought nicely) .... but since it was documented contrary to a resident's "insider" opinion, perhaps .....? Oh, well, no great loss to me, I can still put my findings here.

RIP Rhett
Congratz Jack! You've joined an ever growing group of folks that have been banned by an individual who has no interest in Randall Made Knives. Believe me when I say That my friend Rhett is rolling over in his grave.
I think it's about time I told "the rest of the story".
Old 04-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Skilled

Hey Rick,
I too was effectively silenced over there as well. Was called names, insulted personally, foul language used, only because I stood my ground. So much for any code of conduct.
An attempt to marginalize, then asked to continue in the "dungeon" , then warned by the individual who has no interest in Randall knives. One more statement about "sheaths" as if its a dirty word, and I am banned.
Their tactics are exposed for all to see, that's for sure.

Its good to be in a forum that encourages expression of ideas.

Jack, some of your posts must have been censured over there, I didn't see them. I appreciate all the work and research you have provided, its been the best I have seen in recent years. Your sharp eyes have brought many observations to light and have prompted us to dig deeper.

I for one would love to hear "the rest of the story"

Regards, Samg

Last edited by samg; 04-26-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Skilled

I'm sorry I mentioned being banned. I don't think any of my posts over there were censored, perhaps my banning was a result of a cumulative thing. It really doesn't matter that much to me. I recommend we drop the subject. I/we can have no impact over there and it would just divert this forum with personality based issues without adding much to studying the mysteries of vintage RMKs.

Though I didn't know him, I would hazard a guess that is what Rhett would have recommended. Ron Mathews shared that a few years ago Rhett had become concerned about in-fighting in the community and hoped to be able to change the tone. It can't be done there, but we can probably do it here.

Last edited by Jacknola; 04-27-2015 at 06:26 PM.

Tags
beginning, blade, blades, bowie, brass, collecting, folder, for sale, forge, full tang, hobby, image, ivory, knife, knives, leather, made, make, man, pins, post, randall, sheath, tang