MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Skilled

Flood of fakes...

Alert for all. Some questions about counterfeit, fake Randalls was posed on another board. I?m the only one that attempted an answer.

I don?t know why some of the experts haven?t commented, but for what it?s worth I've now seen nine or ten of these fakes for sale on various auction sites. All the sheaths have the same bronze-looking snaps, weird leather and leather work, unnaturally wide toe, and a fake stamp that among other things has a flattened impression of the base of the stamp in the leather because the letters of the stamp are too short.

These sheaths are beyond anything seen associated with a Randall, despite the fact that Mr. Randall occasionally used a LOT of different, ad hoc leather workers to produce a few sheaths off and on in the 50s and early 60s.

All the knives have obviously wrong, weird spacers, crude blade stamps, bad grinds, strange handles ? and ?domed? nuts that are unlike anything ever put on a Randall. These fakes are apparently flooding into all the auction sites. Here are some composite pictures of the fakes.

I just wish some of the other citizens of the world of Randall would take the responsibility of helping the unwary out in these cases. I don't understand silence...

Last edited by Jacknola; 09-12-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Flood of Fakes

Thanks for posting these photos. I am glad to see these. I've seen some of these knives on various sites myself and wondered about them. The more I know about knives, the less likely I am to get stung.

- - - Buckspen
Old 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Thanks for posting the WARNING Jack!

The photos you posted sure look like some kind of dog's breakfast!

I can't imagine anyone going for anything like these, but you never know...

As to the silence by the experts, I can only surmise that... Well 'nuf said.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Skilled

Well... I sent a message to one auction house that had the top four for sale alerting them that these were counterfeit. They replied... "they say 'Randall' on the blade..." I'll never trust that house.

I was fairly insulting in a comment about a knife on E-bay, asking the question that since he was selling a counterfeit Randall, were the rest of his offerings also counterfeit? He was pretty put out (questions are posted on E-bay) and told me that he had it checked by "RFK" - I thought Robert Kennedy was dead - and I should stick to Zippos. Oh... he pulled to offering. I guess I could have been more diplomatic...

Unfortunately some of these have sold for $300-400 or so... They generated an uncommon number of bids on E-bay.. but for some reason the bid codes seem the same in all of them. I suspect shill bidding to go along with the junk.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Skilled

Here's another one, see some detail of stamp, nut, etc. The source of several of these on E-bay seems to be this seller: deadcatgun (2367) He didn't take kindly to my "question" about his other items for sale. Incidentally, I suspect these are from Kyber, Pakistan... the Pashtuns can copy anything.. but these are really bad copies for Pashtun professionals.

Last edited by Jacknola; 09-13-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Skilled

It looks like he pulled the knives. I searched Deadcatgun on Ebay and he had no Randallls listed. Wonder if he will just wait and put them back up. Thanks for letting everybody know.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 09-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Well folks it didn't take long for one of these knives to resurface (on eBay this time).

The knife pictured in Jack's second photo is now being offered for $1,199.99. It is not the same seller mentioned above.

I'm guessing that the current seller (rndekd) purchased this knife thinking it was a genuine "odd ball" RMK and may still have no idea that it is a fake.

To me the only thing "Randall" about this knife is the blade which appears to have a correct stamp, but has been altered to create this monstrosity. Perhaps it was originally a Model #6 "Little Bear Bowie"?

Your thoughts, folks?

Old 09-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Skilled

No, not correct stamp at all. Top two stamps below are from a couple of the fakes. Bottom stamps are from late 50s, early 60s artifacts. Guys, I recommend side by side comparisons. The differences will be obvious...

Last edited by Jacknola; 09-15-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Skilled

This knife (above) sold at auction on Sept. 4 for $300. The other three (first pictures above) sold for $350 to $425 in same auction. Someone got taken.. this after I told the auction house they were marketing counterfeits. The auction house reply was "...they have 'Randall' stamped on the blade."

The auction house was Saco River Auction, in Florida.

Last edited by Jacknola; 09-15-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Skilled

another one

another one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RAND...item1c36f6ed7b

I sent messages to the previous sellers some of whom pulled their offerings. This is the fake model 1.5 or something.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Skilled

Wow, thank you Jack for finding and posting these fakes. Unfortunately people are bidding on and buying these fakes. The pics are so good they show the abysmal grinding job that could never be mistaken for a genuine Randall. But some people are taken by these examples.

I am not a Randall collector and have limited knowledge of Randalls, but as a bladesmith I can tell that the pictured quality is amateur at best.

Does this guy and other's that Ebay auction these fakes not allow questions to be posted? If I remember correctly sellers can decline posting of buyer's questions. Either way the German location should be enough to scare buyers away.

Thanks.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Skilled

I don't know if the questions are routinely posted on E-bay. But if the community ignores this, and they sell, it only encourages more fakes. It has to be profitable... because these are really bad, cheap, goods, sheaths included... and they are not sophisticated efforts at all.

I spotted these when they were at an auction house and warned the house they were counterfeit. They sold them anyway .. and now the same knife/sheaths have all reappeared on other sites. There seem to be a LOT of them... at least 10, maybe more. I can only conclude that the buyers discovered the fakeness and are trying to recoup something, which makes them no better than the counterfeiters.

I've been a little disappointed so far by the response from the knowledgeable community. Oh well, do what I can...
Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Skilled

Just a suggestion Jack. I have seen the sticky with the Randall Ordering FAQ by Ken Lunde (makes me want to plunk down a deposit every time I read it)! Perhaps you or somebody could make a "Known Randall Fakes" sticky or blog picturing these known fakes. They do indeed seem to recirculate. I would definitely welcome such a listing if I were to be in the market for a Randall.

Understandably that would take a lot of time to assemble. Just a suggestion to anybody so inclined and knowledgeable.

Thanks again.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Skilled

I reported the three fakes still on E-bay as counterfeit. E-bay policy forbids selling counterfeits and sanctions against the seller can ensue.

The process is convoluted. First get the item number. This isn't immediately apparent, but is usually a 12 digit number. Second hit contact ebay, type "counterfeit" into the question box, click on the "report item" link, insert number of items only, no text, click send.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Skilled

back at it ...

He?s back at it. From Germany, this seller, swiderania with three fakes on E-bay, this time with a one day auction to try to shortcircut reporting counterfeits to E-bay and removal?. I?ve reported them all as counterfeit. Hope the E-bay people look at it quickly and remove before someone else gets taken.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-3-RA...ht_8359wt_1030

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-2-RA...ht_4820wt_1030

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151139559621#ht_7506wt_1030

Tags
assemble, back, bee, blade, bowie, brand, collector, common, flat, for sale, forge, german, grinding, gun, helping, knife, knives, leather, made, randall, sheath, sheaths, spacers, vintage