MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Skilled

Let's go fishin' or huntin', after we build the #7

O.K., crew,
The next step in our building project is one of my absolute favorites. So much so that I will supply the CW (customer-supplied handle material) if ya'll see fit to want it built with something a little more unusual! The Model #7, "Fishermen / Hunter" is available in 4 1/2" or 5" blade lengths. The bar stock is hand-forged from 3/16" steel, in either 01 Swedish tool steel or stainless (440). There are so many choices for options that this build will probably go long on time, views, posts and, perhaps, patience!
The standard Randall catalog offering comes with an 01 tool steel blade, brass single hilt, leather handle and a duralumin butt cap. A model "B" sheath in tan is supplied. The 4 1/2" has a "no hone pocket" sheath, while the 5" comes "with" a hone pocket. All of this will probably get thrown out with the original drawings of our building plans...but it's good to know and "build" from.
I own and use several Model #7's in both blade lengths. They have all served me well. Good luck on this one. Let's begin with a bit of a general discussion as to what ya'll want and for what purpose. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Steel Addict

Cap,
I'm looking forward to the number 7 build. On the CW material, will Ivory be a possibility on this build? I know that ivory slots are hard to come by these days so it may be excluded. Just wondered if it would be possible.
Wayne

Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Skilled

Ivory

Wayne,
Geez...It's just never enough with you "Tide" people is it? (inside joke...not just the school...the product). Unfortunately my ivory slots are spoken for, many with "STRONG" deposits until 2013! If anyone wants to wait that long, I suppose we could talk about it, but I was thinking more about a cool wood or micarta, etc. As you know..I picked up some very splendid handle material at the "Blade" show, and I plan on getting a few more "treasures" at the Guild show the end of this month, right here in Orlando! Best, The "Captain"

Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
I like the #7 as well. The thin blade reminds me of when I worked in a meat department (way back, when we butchered pterodactyls for lunch.) I'll go with the 5" blade. As much as I am tempted to ask about crown stag, I just don't think that it would look right on this knife (please tell me that I am wrong, Capt.)

So I guess my opening salvo is for a 5", some real fancy wood (any nice Thuya available?) and SS blade.

- Ronald Reagan
Old 07-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Steel Addict

Well Cap, it never hurts to ask!!! I thought ivory might be out of the question. I know that you have some VERY NICE handle material that you picked up at the Blade Show.
The material that you showed me at the hunting camp is all good looking and any of it would make a fine looking knife. The person who gets this one should be very pleased!!!!!
Wayne

Old 07-12-2007, 03:34 PM

It sounds like this should be a very lucky "Build" for someone!

Cheers!

David

Old 07-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Steel Addict

Prefer 5" stainless this is a great blade for all freshwater fish & most saltwater! Let us not forget small game, as a hunter/fisher I'd rather stainless because of the blood & salt, besides if the Good Captain is supplying the handle material ya don't want to end up with a stained blade!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Steel Addict

A #6 grind is also available on this one, right, Cap. I would go with a big nyet on the crown stag, (ugly on anything IMHO), maroon micarta sounds good, though.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Steel Addict

5" Stainless with # 6 Grind sounds good to me

Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Skilled

Let's go with a 5" stainless standard grind.

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)

Last edited by tomthbomb; 07-16-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

Cpt. and Friends,

I would like a 5" SS to start with. Cpt, can you tease us and give of some possiblilties of wood that you have..that we can use? I don't know if many of have the patience to wait until 2011 or 13 for the ivory..even though it would be sweet! I like wood with burl or great figure..Go Figure!

This model will be a great one to build!

Kent

RKS #109
Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Skilled

Handle "options"

Crew,
Way ahead of ourselves worrying about handle material,we are. (sounds like Yota). It will eat up one option, but being as we are building a 3/16" stock knife, we will be limited in handle "shapes". Perhaps we can just go with a standard shaping and save the option we use on CW (customer-supplied handle material).
Yes, also, the #6 grind is available. The standard grind has more backbone for hunting chores and camp work. The Model #6 grind is a better filet knife and carver.
Various micartas and G-10's are doable on this one, besides woods. Too many ways to go to even phatom. Orange G-10 would be one of the very very best handle choices for a heavy-duty saltwater user, teamed up with a stainless steel blade! You would have a hard time loosing it! I have orange G-10, Jade G-3, Laminated black and green micarta (canvas, I think), Brown canvas, and Green tenite.
Woods? Cocobola, desert ironwood, Ca. buckeye burl, Box elder. Ash (black), Ambroya, Snakewood, English black walnut, and ebony (macassar) are some that come to mind.
Look: It's all "doable"...Let's decide what blade length, grind and steel we are going to use. Let's discuss the possibilities and decide what our "base" is. Many times the other options fall into place easier. Best, The "Captain"

Old 07-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Steel Addict

I'll go for 5 " stainless with standard grind

Old 07-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

5" stainless standard grind.

Thanks..Jeff
Old 07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsontide
I'll go for 5 " stainless with standard grind