MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Skilled

I keep trying the Vine Pattern

I keep trying the Vine Pattern, I can't get it right. But I keep doing it...Why? Because even when I don't get it right, I really like the results.

3 tries Yesturday.

One is correct in file pattern but spacing is off for the "VINE" effect but I really dig it anyway.
This one is wrong and it is my favorite.

What do you put on the spine of your knives?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Master

That's a tricky one to explain, they do look pretty cool like that tho. For the spine I fill the file work with epoxy when I glue the scales on.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Steel Addict

Have you checked out the tutorial at fry knives?

http://www.frycustomknives.com/tutorials/vine-filework
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakethings View Post
Have you checked out the tutorial at fry knives?

http://www.frycustomknives.com/tutorials/vine-filework
No, but I will thanks.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Master

Just a tip that will help you move along in your filework journey. Look at the branches on your vine. Do they terminate to a point? Is there a flat section on the end? What is the width of that flat section? Should they all be pointed, all flat, or can something more be done with that flat? I can't answer these questions for you but once you've decided all the branches should be uniform.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_arthur View Post
No, but I will thanks.
Good link, I've been wanting to try to do this, but I was afraid to mess up. I might try with a piece of flat steel from the home depot.

Thanks for posting.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Skilled

You're trying too hard. Keep it simple. A half moon cut rather than oblong. Start the opposite half moon at the termination of the one you just did. Cut to halfway in the spine. Then come backwith the tri-corner with an angled cut, and also round out the flats.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Skilled

Trying it out on mild steel doesn't hold the reckless thrill of possibly ruining something you already have several hours into. Cold sweat that turns into a mist because of excessive trembling at the thought putting a permanent cut into a nearly finished knife is the type of thing that brings out your best work...HAHA, well at least that's how I approached it.

On second thought your way sounds better... lol
Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE View Post
You're trying too hard. Keep it simple. A half moon cut rather than oblong. Start the opposite half moon at the termination of the one you just did. Cut to halfway in the spine. Then come backwith the tri-corner with an angled cut, and also round out the flats.

Thank you That will help me a lot. All the rest makes sense and I see what you mean, But I'm not sure about what you mean when you say "round the flats."
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Skilled

Your pattern has a straight/flat area between the round cut and the tri-corner cut. Using the tri-corner file on a flat side, make this flat area curve and flow into the start of the next half moon. With the exception of crystals, nature has no flat straight lines, and this is supposed to represent a vine.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_arthur View Post
Thank you That will help me a lot. All the rest makes sense and I see what you mean, But I'm not sure about what you mean when you say "round the flats."
That's beautiful!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Master

For practice I use aluminum from Home Depot. Aluminum goes FAST, so it teaches you to slow down and pay attention. Nothing about filework should be fast. Make sure you're relaxed, have good sharp files, and good lighting.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Master

Maybe its just my perspective but the pattern is going the wrong way. On WBE's too. But don't listen to me . . .
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Skilled

That is the most simple file work pattern I know of. I use no layout lines. I just cut as I said. Half round to the approximate halfway point in the spine. Start the next opposite at the approximate termination of the one just finished. I cut that one in under 45 minutes. I do little to no polish of the cuts. The heat treat colors give the darkening in the cuts. If not, cold gun blue will. However, 99% of my work is intended to appear as 18th, and 19th c. work, so it may not stand up to modern scrutany without polishing.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Master

I polish my round cuts to 320, only because that's what customers want. I didn't say filework takes a long time, I just said it shouldn't go fast. Maybe that was just a pre-emptive strike against dremels. I can do file work 360 around a whole knife tang included top and bottom in 30 minutes, but only from lots of practice. When you're just starting out, don't worry about time, go as slow as you need to. I do throw a ruler up and hit it quick with a sharpy every 1/4". It doesn't make the spacing perfect, that just takes practice, but it does allow me to do one side then the other.

Here is a picture of some of my filework. Its going both in the right direction AND the wrong! Be kind, its one of the first of the new coloring technique I developed, so the ends are rough.

Tags
art, bee, blade, cold, design, file, file work, files, flat, heat treat, home, knife, knives, make, pattern, polish, rod, scales, sharp, simple, steel, tang, tutorial, vine