MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 03-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Registered

Vintage custom Randall

About 1958 I had Bo Randall make a knife for me from my drawing. It was basically a model 7 without the finger notch in the 5" blade. It has a redish brown India stag handle with a few red, white and black spacers and no hilt cap. My name and home town is etched into the blade. The Randall designation is type 1. It has the original HH Heiser sheath (brown buttons) with a keeper thong that I added and is marked 7---5. I think the sharpening stone has been replaced. The knife has been sharpened and used and has a few stains (but no rust). I am getting on in age and would like to know the approximate value of the knife. I believe I paid $26 for it in 1958 or1959.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:13 AM

Hi Twhur!

Thanks for your question.

I can say with 100% certainty that your knife is worth more than you paid for it.

Seriously, from your description it basically falls into the category of difficult to establish a value, since both the knife and sheath are both in less than superb condition. However, there might be a collector who might need it to fit in their collection.

It's possible your knife might fetch between $400 to $600 on eBay. I suggest you take some time and follow the sold completed Randalls on eBay to give you an idea what similar knives have fetched.

If you don't think it's worth the trouble to find a buyer at the price you desire, perhaps there is a worthy member of your family who would appreciate having you knife?

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 03-11-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Registered

Thank you David.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Skilled

Mr. Twfuhr, if you could post a picture it would help.. front, back of both sheath and knife. Also, documented history could help the value... for instance a hand written account of the purchase and subsequent 50 years of use of the knife. People like to know who where what when.

If you have the letters, drawings, communication chain with Mr. Randall regarding the design, construction and sale of the knife, etc., the value of the package could be very much higher - huge. Again pictures of the knife and any commo with Mr. Randall would greatly help.

Regards, Jack
Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 AM

Location: Central Valley of california between San Jose and Fresno, where the ducks live.
Mr Twfuhr
I worked in a gun store that sold Randall knifes back in the late 70's and early 80's. The #1, if I remember correctly, sold for $168. I now see the same knife on Ebay for up to $600. I would think with you documentation and custom marks it would bring much more to the right collector. And by the way, back then I didn?t have the $165 for a Randall, LOL!
Steve

Tags
1958, bee, blade, collector, custom, handle, home, knife, knives, make, model 7, notch, post, randall, sharpening, sheath, spacers, stag, stone, vintage, vintage randall, white