MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 07-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Steel Addict

Good point!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Here's a model #17 with custom ivory scales that I scrimshawed in 1997.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM

Rick,

That is a real beauty.

Alan
Old 08-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

I am finding the least ordered Model 17 to be my most favorite as a field/military/survival/general purpose knife.

The wide tip area (known as a swollen tip fighter to Scagel collectors) gives it big knife performance out front, whether ventilating something, or spreading butter.

Superior for survival chores over pointier stabbing implements. nice upsweep for lots of belly. a superior slicer to sexier knives such as Model 1.

The old-style crossbolts will never fail whereas the glued-up handles on the standard 14/15/17 have been known to get beaten loose from lots of heavy hacking...sealing handle and bolts so that they do not leak or loosen is as simple as RTV or wax.

Collector complaints over it hardly resembling earlier Astros are semi valid, but then, again, earlier Astros varied tremendously in blade and handle even among the original Seven provided to the Mercury astronauts, not to mention the Solingen and non-Solingen with hump and without.

Equally valid is that the current version accomplishes same mission with deeper/stronger tip area with larger cross-section, indestructible nearly bullet-proof hilt which will stop heavily gloved hand, while reduced upper allows choking up on blade for finer chores.

The out-front heft of blade allows it to chop about as well as a 7" while being much handier, while balance of knife is as well executed as a fighter, MUCH stronger blade than a Model 1.

An Astro and 1-6 or 5-6 weigh virtually the same, with the Astro MAYBE 1oz more.

I cannot answer the original post as what is most popular, but can tell original poster that i know which one SHOULD be #1.

Last edited by mtngunr; 08-20-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

Being new here, i am experiencing a lag on submitting a post and having it appear without a chance to censor, which is understandable, but a pain when it is wished to edit the post with additional pics and info, so will submit a seperate post as i fear the window for editing will expire before it ever appears.

The below is a good example as to what the relatively small Astro can do with ease; chop through a substantial dried hardwood limb, and then, with zero touch-up and only washing the blade, slice ripe tomato cleanly.

Forgot to mention also another charm of the design, especially for the military or para-military/police viewpoint. The minimalist handle tucks in flat against body armor. The handle is suprisingly comfortable to use, although it should not be a suprise as it probably is very much the same as some favorite larger kitchen knife.

I would not wish to build a house with it, but it works just fine even for heavy lifting.

Last edited by mtngunr; 08-20-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Steel Addict

You can replace the small handle with a different one, if you want, without permanently modifying the Astro.
-Steve

Old 08-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Enthusiast

yes you can, but then, ah, it begs the question, what do have now? An Astro? Or a retro Model 15, either Solingen, or Randall shop humpity back?

That treatment of yours would be particularly fruitful on an older one before Randall started trimming off the back half of the hump. I meant to ask Scott while talking to him but forgot, why trim the hump? Doesn't seem much of a labor or material saver. Weight? Balance? The hardest one to believe is simply style. It makes sense, it punches just as large a hole, and the extra material back there has nothing to do with tip strength.

In any case, yours is lovely. I had thought mine might need that for a work knife, but happily it does not, as it works fine and i did not need to spoil the minimalist handle which tucks in tight.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
Here's a model #17 with custom ivory scales that I scrimshawed in 1997.
That is beautiful. i wish i could carry, wear, and use something so beautiful.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Steel Addict

nice, indeed!

Last edited by cut_n_run; 08-21-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Steel Addict

...and then, mtngunr, there's this one. (Not as nice as your originals, but then I don't have an original.)
-Steve

Last edited by cut_n_run; 08-21-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Enthusiast

the ho-hum Astro pictured actually working for a living is mine, the others are only pirated pics from other forums.

And that one of yours is just gorgeous, to my eyes mainly in it looks so period correct with the green handle.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Steel Addict

My first knife (upper) is an older Randall Astro with only a slight hump, shown with original scales taken off and removable green-tenite-colored G-10 slotted handle in place. It's kind of like having a Model 15 with a stainless hilt.
- - - -

- - - -
My second knife (lower) is a more recent special-issue Randall Model 15 modified by SCAR.
- - - -

- - - -
-Steve

Last edited by cut_n_run; 08-22-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 AM
Enthusiast

Those are two gorgeous knives. When i was a kid, and Vietnam was in full swing, i knew nothing about Randalls except their military knives, and those were the "newer' ones.

but those images are forever to me what comes to mind when Randall is mentioned. Here it is, 40yrs later, i am still working for Uncle, taking Randalls on missions, and my favorite one turns out to be the runty little one i loved as a kid, the one i never could get out of my mind.

And your above versions appear to have just fallen out of the picture, as well. Aside from different bolt locations, guard/hilt and a hidden slot in a tang, the 15 and 17 were impossible to tell apart many times.

i am buying my kids 15s....i think the 17 a better general purpose knife, however, i don't need to inflict my tastes/uses on them, and for the average person, the 15 will always be sexier and more desirable...
Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM

mtngunr,

Welcome! Great to have you on board. Couple of things:

First of all, I love your Scagel pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngunr View Post

I used to own one with a similar sheath (I think Old Bill made these sheaths himself):

........but I sold it to buy a Randall or two. THAT'S how much I love Randalls!

Model 3's are my thing. Almost all of the WWII Hunters were made from 3/16" stock. Bo didn't use 1/4" stock as a standard for Model 3's until mid '45. Here's a pic of a WWII Hunter in 3/16", a mid 40's Model 3 in 1/4" stock and a special order Model 3 with an 8 1/2" blade made from 3/8" stock for comparison:

I was afraid to take my 3-6 to Vietnam, so I bought a Schrade 150T and had no problems with it after some pretty hard use. I'm not sure the stick tang of my 3-6 would have held up as well as the full tang on the Schrade. For sure the handle would have held up better than the stacked leather. Here a pic of a similar Schrade (Mine went missing some time after I got home):

Here's a pic of my 3-6:

Take care and best,

Ron
Old 08-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Steel Addict

When I was getting ready in the early 60?s for my first tour to Vietnam, I wanted to get a second Randall knife for the trip (I already had a Model 1). The Model 14 seemed perfect, EXCEPT that at that time the 14 came only with a screwed-on Tenite handle (top left catalog picture). I was concerned about the security of such a handle, and preferred to have a permanently cemented handle. So, I had to wait for my second tour later in the 60?s, when the 14 was upgraded to an epoxied Micarta handle (top right catalog picture). The knife I bought was perfect. The only thing is, it NOW seems that the ?original? screwed-on Tenite handle may have been a better choice as a collector?s item! Did I make the right choice? (As it turns out, the 14 I took with me, shown at bottom, saw very little use, so is still essentially mint.)
-Steve

Tags
back, blade, blade grind, common, custom, forge, handle, home, hunter, ivory, knife, knives, made, material, military, pine, post, randall, scales, sheath, simple, survival, tang, throw, woods