MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 11-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Skilled

Hey Ron... oddly on another forum in "this old Randall" line, the following two knives were just posted. I don't think collectors, Guidio Bitossi or "Daniele" would mind my borrowing their photos. One thing that I find interesting is the number of these sheaths for hunting type knives, models 3, 4, 7.

Daniele's knife

Guido Bitossi knife

Last edited by Jacknola; 01-08-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:11 PM

Jack,

I think Daniele's knife and sheath are a bit older than the ones we have been discussing. They go back to "the first time Bo ran out of snaps" circa 1950. In the case of the knife: It has a peened tang, but no "blade flat". There was just a very small window of time this occured. In the case of the sheath: It has a wide stone pocket flap. The snap on the stone pocket is a BB that has been dyed brown (If you could get a better photo, you'd be able to see the lettering.). You see dyed BB sheaths from time to time (Both black and brown). Some people have actually mistaken brown dyed BB's for translucents. Here a pic of another dyed sheath that came up on e-bay recently:

Best,
Old 11-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ron... so both of these are circa 1950 with wide-flap sheaths. Good information and thanks for sharing your insights and knowledge. That kind of clear explanation just upped my awareness and is one reason I don't mind posting things and asking questions, even if they are banal.

I wonder how long the shortage of brown buttons lasted? I haven't found anything in Gaddis about it but it had to be a specific period.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:41 PM

Jack,

Yes, I think Guido's knife is also circa 1950, although his may have the "blade flat" I mentioned that most of the models had in the 40's.

I don't think the circa 1950 BB snap shortage was very long. I'm guessing a few months. But that was long enough for the shop to ship quite a few knives.

I don't believe Gaddis mentioned the outage in his book, but Hunt details the substitute of other snaps from 1949-1951 in his first book Randall Fighting Knives in Wartime on page 180 as does Sheldon in his book on pages 39 and 190.

Best,

Tags
550, art, back, bee, blade, design, expertise, first post, guard, guards, handle, ivory, knife, knives, made, micarta, military, package, randall, sheath, sheaths, shop, simple, stag, vintage