MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 12-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Skilled

Heiser Sheath

OK Ron and Jack
What do you make of this sheath? Odd stone flap, butterfly, and stamp. The knife is peened, with a blade flat. Puts it mid 40's to early 50's ? Sheath not original?
It's late here in Charlotte. Just saw it, will check it out further tomorrow.

Regards, Samg

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181954922086?_mwBanner=1

Old 12-08-2015, 05:09 AM

Hi Sam,

I put it 1950 give or take very little. Knife is legit. Heiser sheath is legit. I have seen other sheaths with that logo from the same era. The keeper snap "might" be legit as this is when Heiser ran out of brown buttons for a while. At the same time, it would be fairly easy to thread a new keeper through the slots. That's something you couldn't do when the keeper was riveted. If I had to guess, I'd say the whole keeper strap and snap were replaced as I don't see any edge groove on the strap (It's hard to tell for sure from the photos).

Note: On a very small percentage of knives from the 40's, you see a secondary radii where the choil meets the blade edge. I don't understand why the shop didn't do this as a standard blade design! It would eliminate that sharp angle from digging into your index finger when choking up on the grip.

Ron

Disclaimer: Still working on my first cup of coffee

Last edited by BoBlade; 12-08-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ron.
It doesn't appear that the sheath edge is tooled either, but beveled, as they did in the timeframe when the throat rivets were used. Throat rivets disappeared 1950ish, correct? Give or take? So what we observed is when Heiser eliminated the throat rivets, they also quit beveling the edge.
This style sheath is so different from other heisers. If it weren't for the fact that it has the Heiser stamp, I could be easily convinced that it was made by someone else. The stitching of the butterfly is different, and the shape of the stone flap is very different.
Good point about the choil.
I can tell that the coffee has kicked in :-) Welcome back!

Regards, Samg
Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Skilled

Here is another similar sheath. Notice the snaps are switched, with the brown button on the keeper, and the metal snap on the stone flap. Note the more traditional shape of the stone flap. Also the tooled edge of the keeper, as Ron mentioned was missing on the other keeper.

Regards, Samg

Old 12-09-2015, 08:26 AM

Sam,

Good "get" on a similar sheath!

Best,

Ron

Tags
angle, back, blade, butterfly, design, easy, edge, flat, grip, knife, knives, made, make, randall, rivets, sharp, sheath, sheaths, shop, small, stone