MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Curious about these Randall auction items

I thought this a bit strange but, hey, whudaIknow? Dr. Jim Lucie, maker of William Scagel replicas and Scagel style knives alerted me to the fact that a knife he recently completed for a customer was delivered at the BLADE Show and quickly turned up on eBay "for sale now" by said customer for $79,643.00! (Dr. Lucie's price for a similar blade is under 2K.) Here is the link and please forgive me (or delete the link) if it's against the rules to post an eBay link. I'm not selling anything, promoting anything or schilling for someone who is. I am genuinely curious and believe this to be a legitimate topic for discussion by those who have an interest. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...WNASIF:US:1123 The item can also be found by searching for DR LUCIE SCAGEL STYLE KNIFE KNIVES.

I noticed the seller (I'll omit his name) deals extensively in Randall knives. I e-mailed the seller to ask what was up with the price on the Lucie knife and he promptly responded that the price reflected the fact that he wasn't interested in selling it. Well... OK, I thought, but why even list it then? Was it just a ploy to draw attention to the many Randall items he also had up for sale? I don't know - but this leads to my question for you guys.

At the bottom of the listing page that features the Lucie knife there are a number of Randall items including a 50 year commorative knife for almost 5K, a pair of 50 year commoratives for almost 11K. a complete set of minis (5) for almost 5K and a display board featuring the parts corresponding to the stages in the construction of a particular Randall knife for a little over 8.6K.

I'm not implying any criticism or negativity but one wonders if, by extension, the prices of the Randall items mentioned are likewise unrealistic. My question is simply this: Are the prices of those items generally speaking, within the realm of reason?

Also of note is that while the Lucie knife is listed only as "buy it now," the Randall items at the bottom of that page are listed as "buy it now or best offer." I do comprehend the difference.

I realize that pricing on the secondary market can be a sensitive topic, and that there can be competition/friction between any and all of the parties for whom such things are of interest. It's not my intent to get into any of that kind of stuff here. Thanks in advance for all of your constructive comments.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 06-30-2008, 03:16 PM

Hi Buddy,

There is a recent thread on Rhett's forum that may help to shed a little light on his asking price for Dr. Lucie's knife:

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/showf...0&Number=41280

As far as his other prices are concerned: IMO he will typically list a knife over market (By market I mean the typical price a similar knife sells for on e-bay). In the past he has received his asking price enough times that he considers this practice successful and continues doing it. He's been in no hurry to sell so he just waits for the right buyer. This been going on in a rising market so the market somewhat catches up with his prices. That's not the situation today nor has it been for a while. Therefore I think he's going to have to make some price adjustments before too long or he's going to be sitting on just too many knives (He continues to receive new knives every month that he ordered years ago). He's still going to be over (a soft) market, but there won't be the big delta there is today.

Best,

Ron
Old 06-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

$79K, and the guy is charging $15 for shipping? THAT'S funny!

Caveat emptor! (Let the buyer beware!)

Old 07-01-2008, 12:19 AM

TexasJack - I hadn't caught that little detail but your are quite right; it's funny, and in more ways than one, I think.

Ron - Thanks for your reply which makes much sense and confirms some of what I had imagined. Thanks also for the link. Much appreciated!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Steel Addict

Bear in mind that any knife (or any item) is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. No one is forced to buy at the so called high prices, and if no one does, the price will come down if the seller really wants to sell. He may not want to sell the Lucie knife, but if someone pulls the BIN lever, he'll sell. My philosophy is, "everything I have is for sale", and maybe his is also. I may have some items that would take a stupid price to wrest them away from me, but they can be bought. I have the first knife that really got me started in knife collecting, a stag handled lockback folder made by the late Zolan McCarty, That I think I paid $275 for, but it would take a couple of Gs to get it from me. Is the knife worth that? It is if someone wants it badly enough. As Steve Peters says, I really don't want to sell it, but it's for sale. Hope this clouds the issue a little more!

Tags
blade, knife, knives