MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Steve,

If you got home safe, then you made the right choice! There has to be some good luck associated with that (great) piece. Any pics of you in Vietnam carrying it? I have (just one) of me with the Schrade taken in country shortly after I arrived in December of '67:

Best,

Ron

PS: Welcome home, Brother!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

i missed out on vietnam by 5yrs. Good friend went. He had a solingen Model 15 but sold it to a 2nd Lt, friend's favorite knife was a Couchman, made as requested to skin a Huey.

I used quite a few, ranging from a Mk II used by family in WWII and Korea, my trusty Jet Pilot circa '73, the Bianchi which made the jump into Panama, and even had a Moran sacrificed during an assault, hammered into a crack in a bluff for hand/foothold impassable otherwise, i suppose it is still there. Also several newer, including a Mission MPK-12 Ti which made it to DS, not much of a knife but certainly up to digging/prying an airway in a blown out basement, and the only knife i have ever owned that was up to coming straight out of surf and be completely ignored for years if need be.

wish i had owned an Astro sooner, and this one is making up for lost time on missions and miles, i think. Exceptionally strong. Exceptionally sharp. Exceptionally compact and handy. Exceptionally carefree.

As for the handle choice on the Model 14, to me, the right choice was made, but for the wrong reasons (wink!). From the start, Tenite showed itself to be fragile on everything it was used on weaponwise, gunstocks, handgun grips, knife handles, etc., especially in cold weather, and micarta is the far superior material in comparison.

However, i as stated earlier, i DO know of folk who have really done major heavy hacking with the glued-up handles, and had them loosen and swivel on the ferrule. An easy repair, and it is not stopping me from buying 15s for all the kids. But the crossbolts are stronger, and and keeping the bolts/nuts from loosening is as easy as beeswax, RTV, glue, whatever on threads.

As an aside, the Speedfeed stocks for riot guns are nearly indestructible, suitable for a bayonet asssault course, and they are made from....tah dah!.....tenite, BUT reinforced with fiberglass....by doing so, the product becomes a truly hard/rigid zytelish substance, temperature stable with the the tenite charm of low thermal coefficient, which means it feels nuetral no matter hot or cold...it would make a great handle for a Randall retro

Last edited by mtngunr; 08-24-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Steel Addict

Sorry, Ron, can't find any pics of me in Vietnam with the knife. As my "Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club" patch (above) hints, I was on a destroyer doing mostly shore bombardment fire support and guarding carriers on Yankee Station. I had the knife with me for that last 8-month tour, but not often carried. We were the first U.S. ship to enter the Tonkin Gulf after Johnson's declaration of war. (Though we were not hit when shot at from shore, those tracers were a bit scary--but nowhere near as scary as what you experienced, I'm sure.
-Steve
Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 PM

mtngunr: Them's some beefy lookin' pigstickers!

Steve: 10-4. It's all good, Brother!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

This was a great thread...I really enjoyed all the info and great pictures...thanks to all who participated.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade View Post
mtngunr: Them's some beefy lookin' pigstickers!

Steve: 10-4. It's all good, Brother!
Those are the smaller ones i used/use in the service; the Moran was a Rio Grande Camp Knife, used another ABS Master camp knife, several other larger knives, blades running 8"-10" and minimum 1/4" thick. Most of them were given away at one point or another. The above photo of smaller knives was mainly to illustrate where the Astro fits in, almost identical to the Jet Pilot Survival Knife, but much stronger, far more useful blade, and zero maintenance.

Nowadays, i must humbly admit i have no need of such if, indeed, i ever did, and something the size of the Astro or Model 15 entirely adequate for 99% of what the larger can do, the key being good belly, balance and heft, which the Astro has.

I suppose the Model 1 is number one in sales in military style, the Model 3 tops in sporting knives, and the Astro the least ordered of all. If more people actually used the Astro rather than buying a collectible to keep in mint condition, no doubt sales would be brisker, especially in the Model 15 market minded shopper segment. However, the price of admission is stiff enough it is hard to buy one to experiment with as a user; I know it was for me.

But there is no doubt in my mind which of the below is more carefree, rugged, and handy.

Last edited by mtngunr; 08-25-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

in answer to the original post, the very top cord is for lashing to self or gear, along with cord on toe of sheath. The next cord is a snubber for snubbing down handle tight so handle does not snag on objects, and also provides extra security against loss. The snubber in use shows in first of below photos on the Astro. since original post was regarding sheaths, this is somewhat on topic.

Just got another sheath for the Astro, a Johnson roughback-esque that finally allows sitting with sheathed knife on belt, considerably less drop and overall length, much lighter with sheathed knife at 13oz versus 17oz in Model C Sullivan which is OEM, and very sturdy. Handmade by Harry Savage, who cuts and stitches entirely by hand, sucks things down TIGHT, and do not expect machine cut and stitched perfection. They match a Randall in that regard perfectly. Not bad for the princely sum of $52 including shipping

Also will point out the new sheath can be solid at retention almost as well as the Model C sheath with snubber. simply unfurl the above pinky loop.

After running dummy loop through belt loop, open up the second loop in the fisherman's knot normally used for the wrist...

And snug down fisherman's knot loop over haft/handle of knife.

This works best with handles which are taller than the belt loop of sheath.

Last edited by mtngunr; 08-28-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 PM

sheath

Thanks for getting back on message. I am glad that the topic became popular. I am new to this forum and I am learning alot.

Neup
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neup View Post
Thanks for getting back on message. I am glad that the topic became popular. I am new to this forum and I am learning alot.

Neup
i am new here too, and trying not to take over a board without a lot of traffic. was pointing out the lashing thing in last post so you would know you don't neccessarily need to buy a Model C sheath to keep from losing a knife if the keeper strap gets bumped unfastened.

i ordered the Astro with the standard Model C sheath as it is more "correct", but most of my knives are rarely carried in the Model A or C sheaths as i rarely need a stone, find the increased bulk and thickness and weight objectionable, especially the stone pocket which seems to hang on everything i try to squeeze past, or even walk past in the house.

But i get them with the Randalls to be "correct", they just look right to most folk with a Randall, even to me. Then i have someone such as Harry whomp me up an older-style heavier duty, less drop and flatter sheath for using.

Something such as the Model C sheath is great if you plan on wanting to lash the knife to gear in unconventional ways. But take care to not lash it to something prone to losing in a fall, or even dumped on purpose in an emergency (getting light, we called it in the Army), ie tie it to belt suspenders but not your pack straps, etc.

Tags
back, blade, blade grind, common, custom, forge, handle, home, hunter, ivory, knife, knives, made, material, military, pine, post, randall, scales, sheath, simple, survival, tang, throw, woods