MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Steel Addict

Question Have Your Tastes changed?

Folks I'm curious what RMK got ya started (ya know that one that ya had to have & chased till ya got it) & when, how long ago was that!

Do ya still own it & is it still your favorite or have your tastes changed?

For me I had to have a model #27 stag handled. As for still having it that is yes & no. My Son has it in iraq as a user. I've only been collecting RMK's for about 1 & half years.

But know it's ivory & scrims on as many different RMK's as possible, especially dealer specials! I like the feel of the big steel when I'm at my office pondering a problem I like to hold on to one of them as I find it relaxing (yeah I know weird)! The fun of talking with ya'll as I work on a new project for me is priceless!

When we do the Captains builds sometimes I get inspired & find new interest in a blade that never got much notice from me. Feels like the TV series Kung Fu when the teacher shows ya something so that you ask a question, but the answer brings up 5 more!

Where your RMK life at now?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Chief,

Edna and I have been collecting RMK's together (on an almost daily basis) since we inherited a small collection of stacked leather handled Randall knives back in 1999.

For awhile there that's all we collected, but as we pursued a 'one of each model' collection there were obviously knives that couldn't 'be got' with stacked leather handles...

So, we switched to one of each model, in each blade length...that quickly became 'every blade grind/handle type'. It can be done, but it's ungodly expensive. Selling most of the stacked leather, many of the 'multiples' (at one time we owned 20+ Model #14's), and most of the RKS Club knives; Dealer Specials, and Non-Catalogs we started focusing on obtaining the best possible example of each model (regardless of handle type) from as early as introduced as possible...

We never really stuck on a single model or era, military, or embellished knives...although we've had some truly great ones over the years. So yes, to answer your question; yes our interests have changed, and hopefully they will continue to do so...for at least another 400 or so knives

Besides, we never really own them...we all just seem to shepherd them for awhile, and are always willing to trade them to new homes (hint)...this year, it's minty 1950's & 1960's knives; next year, who knows...
Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
It was the model 25 - 5" that brought me to Randalls. It is still my favorite, both in beauty and as a user. I still have my first #25 that I use as an EDC. The model 5 Angier is now breathing down it's neck for first place in my heart. And right behind it is the Bear Bowie, although I can not see myself using it for an EDC.

- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Skilled

Hey Chief, I'll play. I ordered my first Randall in 1969 and had to wait two years to get it. It'a good thing too since I had to save up the seventy something dollars to pay for it. Had to send Bo a $5 deposit so he wouldn't think I was kidding about the order . 'Twas an 8" stag finger grip number 1 (had to send a tracing of my hand so it could be made to fit). I still treasure it and it's even more beautiful than the day I opened the box which I still have as well. Never used but greatly admired all these years. My tastes keep changing through the years and I now have a few to choose among when I need to lust over one. Even have a few that I use now too. So Chief this isn't like a bad cold that will go away quickly. This affliction may last awhile for you. I know your son treasures his #27 and I have some stashed away for my sons as well.

Seuss
Old 08-02-2007, 01:26 AM

Chief,

What a great thread starter! I've come full circle now: Started using my Dad's old Hunter in the early sixties and retired it in the late 80's. Ran across it again almost 6 years ago and decided to do some research. At that time I didn't even know if The Randall Company still existed! The more I learned about Randalls the more I fell under "The Lure of the Randall" until there was no escaping the attraction. Bought my 1st newer Randall off of e-bay a little over five years ago. Then came a small assortment of different models in fairly quick succession. Before I knew it I was out of funds that my wife had graciously allotted me to treat my disease (She pays the bills - I never see my paycheck). "OK" I tell her: "My collecting will be self sustaining from here on out"! I then sell a few knives and have enough to buy an older one. I keep "trading up" in terms of age and condition over the next 3-4 years capitalizing on the appreciation until the majority of my small collection consisted of different models from the 40's and 50's. But again I found myself flat broke! The only way I could continue collecting was to specialize. It was a no brainer that my decision was Model 3's! Over the last year all but two non Model 3's have found other homes and here I sit waiting for the next nice Model 3 to show up.

I've shown my Dad's Hunter a number of times but I'm going to post another photo of it anyway. I'd like to see photos of the knives that got you guys started as well.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all,great thread.I started carrying a knife after I was in the Marine Corps in the mid1950s. Had a strong interest in S&W handguns too. I saw people with Randalls but couldn't afford one. The years passed and I picked up some different knives just to have. I joined the NKCA in the early 1980s and have been a member ever since. About that time I came through the Orlando airport on business. I had some extra time to wait once ,so I looked out to the Randall shop and went out to visit. Well to my surprise I was able to purchase a couple of knives. Then in the mid90s I joined RKS. Every trip through Orlando I would stop and buy what was available. The last time through with my granddaughters I bought five knifes from Pete H. Then I got a computer and played on ebay.In December 2005,I saw a Bowles skinner that I just had to have.About this time my son got interested in Model 4s and my knife collection.That's when I concentrated and focused on the Bowles pieces.Now our collection has grown with them. I still enjoy collecting with Ivory and Silver my favorite combo on Randalls. I also like the oddball or offbeat Randalls,hence my avatar on Knifetalk.Ironwood is my favorite wood. I really like Treemans work too. As Gary H. has known for awhile I am enthused about ironwood on the knives he has sold to me. I occasionally purge our stuff looking to upgrade our collection and still have not satisfied the hunger for Randalls. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I have chatted with many excellent collectors and I appreciate their sharing of their experiences. Tom # 3081

Last edited by 1gunner; 08-02-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM

My first was a reduced hilt 4" Model 2. I was attracted to its small size and elegance. When the minis were introduced, I had to have one of each. Then out of the blue, I received a notice from Randall that a knife I had ordered was ready. So much time had passed that the order slipped my mind. So, over the next couple of months, a knife arrived. The first one was a Model 1, and it was love at first sight. I now have a couple of them, and have a couple on the way.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Chief, a good thought provoking thread... I therefore had to think about it, and this can be difficult for me...

I have to say that when I started to become interested in Randall Made Knives I knew a little less about them than I know now. In fact I knew nothing, having never seen one, held one, smelled one, or sheathed one. One could say, to quote a well known RMK expert, I was a "Randall virgin"!

I looked at the RMK website and was intrigued by all the different models, and I was perplexed as to why the wait was about three and a half years. The leather handled ones looked cool and I really liked the stag handled #27 "Trailblazer" (like you Chief). Of course, Mrs. Moosehead pointed out that there were "tons" for sale on eBay, and that they came with a variety of handle materials and all sorts of other configurations. After looking at dozens, if not hundreds, I decided that just had to get me one of those Randalls..., but I had know idea as to which one.

I bought "The Randall Chronicles" by Gaddis and after reading this book (well, at first just skimming through it), I became intrigued by the history of Bo Randall and the evolution of his knife-making enterprise. I started my collection by using the eBay Buy It Now to purchase a Randall 5" patch and a Randall hatpin. I then way over paid for an RKS Zippo. Now all I needed was a Randall knife.

Several months went by before I finally took the plunge and because I believe bigger is better (not really), and I'm into leather (not really), I used eBay to buy a "Smithsonian" with brass fittings and a commando shaped leather handle. After receiving this amazing piece of steel (I was very impressed with its heft and the fine finish), I decided it was a tad too heavy to carry on my hikes through the woods. So shortly thereafter I purchased a "Trailblazer" on the bay which really knocked my socks off! This is still my favourite model.

However, my tastes still appreciate the "Big Steel", namely, the #12-9 with the #14 grind, the "Big Bears", and well as the cubs. I like the "Hunters" and the "Bushmasters" too. I go for stag and exotic wooden handles, and I appreciate fine scrimshaw.

I like certain dealer "Specials" and always have a soft spot for the fighting models #1, #14, #15 and #16 with unusual kinds of furniture.

Have my tastes in Randalls changed? You tell me...

Cheers!

David

P.S. Sorry for being so long winded.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Steel Addict

Here is a picture of my 2nd RMK that I'm waiting to receive back from the shop! Decided I wanted to have an RKS #4 that was...........different!
Ron I'll post picture of the #27 when it comes home!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RKS Chief 3.JPG (64.4 KB, 27 views)

Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Captain we would love to know about your first Randall & the rest of the story!!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:42 AM

Chief, that RKS #4 with the Bison scrim is a real beauty!

Good idea to have something different. This the basis of my collecting philosophy.

Cheers!

David

Old 08-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Steel Addict

David, CCC and friends,

I know that this isn't the right place to post..but I'm down in Orlando and it's hard getting 'puter time!

Went to the shop yesterday and met DW..AKA Scott..treated me pretty good. (I don't deserve it). What a place. That will be my highlight of this trip! All DW said was, "I wish that the Capt. would quit bugging us "!!! Just kidding.. Don't know why, but they sure seem to like the Capt!

Met Valerie. Classie Lady! And I now know who runs the operation!

Called my boss early yesterday morning, to get an update on the bridge crash. We are now all in Phase 3 callback. Everyone in uniform, for 12 hour shifts, around the clock. I've been plain-clothes for 9 years, so will not have to think about what to wear when I get back.

1 hour after I talked to my boss, he had a massive heart-attack at his desk. They shocked him 5 times to bring him back. I would like to see him again.

Divers were called out of the water late yesterday, since the current was getting too strong at the bridge site. They think 20-30 people are still unaccounted for.

So....Hows the #7 building going?

Kent
RKS#109
Old 08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast

Chief,that is a beautiful piece of scrim on that RKS 4. Good on you. I still can not get a picture posted on this site. BoBlade that is a crisp hunter,way to go. Keep on collecting the good stuff. Tom #3081
My prayers include those people in Minnesota as well as our troops everywhere.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM

Chief: I'm taking the liberty of posting a larger pic of your great RKS 4 and looking forward to seeing a pic of your # 27.:

Kent: I'm waaaaaaaaay overdue for a trip to the shop! Sorry to hear about your boss. Prayer said.

Tom: Thanks. That Hunter looks better "on paper" than it is in reality. I've had that knife in and out of so many trout streams that a few of the leather washers have dried out and shrunk so they are a bit loose (That was the problem with a peened tang: Can't tighten them!). I've also taken 600 grit to the blade a number of times to keep the rust off. If you want you can send your pics to me and I will post them. I'll send you my e-mail address by PM.

Best,

Ron
Old 08-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief7277
Folks I'm curious what RMK got ya started (ya know that one that ya had to have & chased till ya got it) & when, how long ago was that! Do ya still own it & is it still your favorite or have your tastes changed?
Like BoBlade, I guess I?ve come full circle. Discovered and learned to love Randalls in the late 50?s and early 60?s. Ordered catalogs to drool over. (25 cents then?would throw away the old one as soon as the latest came in the mail, but somehow kept one from 1967). In those days I couldn?t afford to buy an actual knife, since most Randalls cost the princely sum of $20 to $30. I finally sent in the required $5 in ?62 or ?63 and ordered my first, a Model 1: ivory, nickel silver hilt, 7? stainless. If I recall correctly, I had to wait about a year for this beauty to be made. After more than 40 years, years that included a couple Vietnam combat tours, that knife is still with me, and I like it as much now as I did when I first unwrapped it fresh from Orlando. Since then I?ve bought a variety of Randalls, of various styles and with a number of different handle materials.
My newest Randall (due early next year) brings me back pretty close to that first Model 1. It will be a Model 2: ivory, pure silver hilt-and-collar, 8? stainless. Maybe it won?t be an exact match for my first Model 1, but it will be fairly close. Can?t wait to see it after all the time it?s been on order!
-Steve

Last edited by cut_n_run; 02-11-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Tags
blade, bowie, knife, knives, material, randall