MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Non-Catalog III "Sergeant's Model"

So, who has ordered or received a "Sergeant's Model" knife? It is new for 2011, among the Non-Catalog III knives. See: http://www.randallknives.com/nonCat3.php

I broke down today, and finally ordered one, through Gary Clinton (aka, Clinton Knives). I should have it within a year. I specified the following chargeable options:

Stainless Steel
Brass/Black Spacers
Ironwood Handle
Brass Butt Cap

I also specified the following non-chargeable options:

Squared Hilt Top
Teardrop Handle
Radiused Butt Cap
Thin Butt Cap

I additionally specified a Black Model "B" No-Hone Sheath w/Diagonal Keeper Strap, which is an additional $25 (at least in 2011).
Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Ken and guys
Here is my Sergeant's model, with ss, black and brass spacers, ironwood in border patrol shape and brass butt cap, rounded.
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1727 (Large).jpg (43.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1728 (Large).jpg (56.9 KB, 35 views)

JPFO
SAF
RKS # 5642
Shag #005
Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 PM

Peter,

My "Sergeant's Model" order was inspired by your knife.

Gary Clinton told me last night that I cannot specify a thin butt cap. Of course, it's not a deal-breaker, but it seems that RMK no longer accepts that (non-chargeable) option.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Steel Addict

Ken

I thought I had heard all the RMK terms, but alas, I have not. Could you explain what a "thin butt cap" non chargeable option is? Or what it looks like.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

Rod

The thin butt cap was just not quite as thick as the standard thickness butt cap. This might make a knife balance better if the handle is already fairly heavy.
I believe this model 19 has a thin butt cap

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0570 (Large).jpg (43.7 KB, 23 views)

JPFO
SAF
RKS # 5642
Shag #005
Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM

This #5-6" has a Thin and Radiused Brass Butt Cap (and all-blue spacers):

BTW, I contacted the shop, and it turns out that a Thin Butt Cap can be specified as long as the material is Brass or Duralumin, so I asked Gary Clinton to add it to my order.

Also, I just adjusted the Randall Ordering FAQ accordingly. See (Items I-1 and I-3): http://lundestudio.com/RandallOrderingFAQ/
Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Hi all!

For those of you who may not know, the current RMK offering of the "Sergeant's Special is based on the original Stoddard's Sergeant's model which was a a serialized dealer special available from Boston cutlery store Stoddard's Inc.

The following is an excerpt from Issue 27 of the Randall Knife Society's Newsletter of June 1995, written by Kent Harrison, who gave detailed descriptions of the various RMK dealer specials available at that time:

Quote:
STODDARD'S SPECIAL:
SERGEANT'S MODEL

As I've traveled around the country I've always been struck by the fact that different regions have their "own flavor" as it is often called. I get an inner feeling that's not unlike my taste buds reacting when a certain kind of food is mentioned. This could be due to things I've read about different areas or merely yo pictures I've seen on postcards and caledars. Whatever the reason, the fact remains that when I think of the Eastern Seaboard I think of things that are old. Fields where Revolutionary War battles were fought, factory sites beside waterways where the pocketknife industry flourished and later perished, and people who maintain and live in the old family"home places" all come to mind. Perhaps that is why it came as no surprise to find out that the oldest cutlery shop in America is located in Boston. Stoddard's Inc., a full line cutlery store, has been in business since 1800! It was originally known as Bradford and Anthony, but has been owned and operated by the Marks family for 61 years. It seems only fitting that they wouls also be a Randall Knife dealer.

In 1991 Steve Weinograd, assistant manager of Stoddard's, and Tim Leival, also an employee, worked on the original design of the "Stoddard Special", which was submitted to Gary Randall. At the time, Tim was a reserve Lieutenant in the 11th Special Forces Group based at Fort Devons. It was their goal to come up with a design which would make a "carry" knife that would fill the needs of the noncommissioned officer in our armed forces. Besides actually providing a knife that would do the job, they also wanted to honor the personnel so vital to the continuing success of our military, the Non-Commissioned Officers Corps. This effort resulted in the knife, which has come to be known as Stoddard's Sergeant's Model.

The Randall Shop worked up the prototype on the basis of the #19-5" Bushmaster blade. This is a wide, heavy duty type blade designed to be a big game skinning knife. As the original design made its way through the prototype stage it evolved into a 5-1/2" blade with a 1-1/2" width of 1/4" 01 Swedish Tool Steel. The upper bevel was left unsharpened due to a section of the Massachusetts law concerning double edged knives. The resulting blade looks more like the #25 Trapper model than the Bushmaster due to the slightly clipped point and the large flat grind. To go along with the "useful tool" aspect of this model is the single hilt and the single finger grip handle.

Up to the present date, handle material is a choice of Desert Ironwood or Sunburst Briar, both of which are beautiful materials. The Sergeant's model is stamped "Stoddard's, Inc/Boston, MA-SN. #----" on the blade on the opposite side of the Randall logo. As of June, 1995, 118 of these knives have been produced. It seems only fitting for Randall Made Knives to combine the oldest cutlery concern with a design which clearly exemplifies man's oldest tool, the knife 'oldest tool, the knife.
Note: For reasons never made public and unbeknownst to me, Stoddard's ceased to be an authorized RMK dealer three or four tears ago, and their run of specials ended as well.

One good change is that the "new" version is now offererd in stainless steel.

Peter, that's a fantastic looking example!

Ken, great choice of options, and I bet you can't wait to get the knife.

Anymore out there?

Cheers!

David

Old 09-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Steel Addict

Peter
Thank you for the explanation. Man I learn something new every day. Now if I could just remember all I learn!

Ken
Great picture. But coming from you, I have learned to expect nothing less. Great looking knife as well.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Hi Folks!

Here's an item that you won't see often:

It's a serialized collector's belt buckle offered by Stoddard's some time ago. This one was sold by Arizona Custom Knives for $395. I've only seen pictures of one other.

I don't know the original price or how many were made.

Does anybody know? Or even better do you have one in your collection?

Cheers!

David

Old 09-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Enthusiast

David
That is very nice, I had never seen one of those before. I would be curious if anyone else has one also.

Peter

JPFO
SAF
RKS # 5642
Shag #005
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood Nut View Post
David
That is very nice, I had never seen one of those before. I would be curious if anyone else has one also.

Peter
One of these as well as the knife were sold on Ebay several months ago - the combination went in to four figures with no problems. The scarcity of the commemorative piece helped drive it up I'm sure - as noted - not often seen.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Steel Addict

First one I've ever seen. Rare and beautiful.

Steve
Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Peter, 505Gibbs, Steve et al!

The other buckle I saw also appeared on eBay several years ago, and as I recall it sold from about four to five hundred.

By the way, I hope I didn't leave the impression that the one I posted belongs to me. I discovered it by accident while Googling for information about Stoddard's.

I just wish I had the new software that can turn a photo into a material object.

Cheers!

David

Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Steel Addict

I wear #10 of 100 on my belt everyday to work, picked it up at The Blade show from a very good friend a few years back...

---DW---
Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I wear #10 of 100 on my belt everyday to work..."
And presumably DW, you also wear "bas rouges" everyday as well.

Cheers!

David

Tags
back, blade, brass, collector, custom, cutlery, forge, handle, how to, ironwood, knife, knives, made, make, material, military, pocketknife, post, randall, sheath, software, stainless steel, what kind, wood