MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to RedElk
What's the appeal of the minis?

I have only been collecting Randalls for the past year and find that I am totally dumbfounded by the mini craze. What is it about them or their history that makes them such a hot item?

From my observation so far:

* I can't use them, and my hands are nothing like the paws some of you guys have.
* They don't come in pink micarta so I can't pass them on as a Barbie collectable.
* They cost twice as much as a REAL knife, so it seems like you're buying a Hot Wheels Mustang for the same price as two drivable models.

So, what gives? Why do you like them? What am I missing?
I don't own any, but do have the latest RKS knife on order.

:confused: Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:58 PM

Hi RedElk!

For me, the minis don't have that much appeal. I kind of feel the same way about them as you do. I would rather spend my money on a full-sized Randall, rather than pay a premium for a miniature, which only a Hobbit could actually use.

However, I do understand that for some folks the minis represent examples of Randall craftsmanship on a small scale, and that they are very popular as collectibles, as are minature models of ships and cars, etc. I guess the fact that there are limited quantities made, with serial numbers, and they take up less space , makes them highly desirable to most collectors.

I have one mini, the model #14 "Attack", which I do find very cool. :cool:

I also have placed an order for the new Randall Knife Society Club Knife #5, which is also a mini. For those who are interested, I understand that there are still some of these club knives available to order. Check out the RKS web site here for more information:

http://www.randallknifesociety.com/default.htm

Moosehead

Here's my mini #14

Last edited by Moosehead; 04-13-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Skilled

Only 1500 each of the first three miniatures in the series. The model #25 cataloged for $325.00 and now sells for over $1,000.00! The Miniature #1 cataloged for $295.00, I believe, and now sells for around $700.00-$900.00 range. The miniature model #3 sold for $300.00 and is now fairly hard to find for $650.00! The new miniature is "STILL" selling for $340.00 catalog price, wheras the exact same specifications on a Model #14-7 1/2", with stainless and etching (serial number) sells for $350.00!
Miniatures are "not" more money than the standard "full-sized model". They just "become" that way real quick, when they are no longer produced. I have orders coming until Oct. or Nov. for mini #14's. All were sold for $340.00 each! $10.00 "less" than the standard, with equivalent. options.
When these "limited" production Randalls are introduced you folks need to order them from the shop, then sit back and enjoy! I don't know what the mini #14 is going to "top out" at: May take a long time to tell. Right now around $400.00-$450.00 can buy one on the secondary market, same price the big #14 would go for, give or take a couple of bucks. The other 3 are already established, being out of production They are a different story. Different strokes. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 05-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Skilled

Well, by George, I like 'em! Just wish I had more of them! Here are the mini #25, #1, #3 and #14.

Seussbrother
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1990.JPG (43.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 05-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Steel Addict

Well, I just can't get the passion for minis yet. I don't have roaches to kill at home. But to be fair,l I can only imagine that the appeal is comparable to owning a display model boat? can't sail it, but you can put it in a bottle!

Old 05-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to RedElk
Thanks everyone. I have to admit they are cute (love that photo Moosehead!).

Capt, I guess they would grow on me a lot more if I got in on the gravy train instead of seeing them for the first time on the secondary market.

But, maybe my chief reservation with them is their reason for being...as collector's pieces.

One of the main things that draws me to Randalls is the inner struggle; the whole user vs safe queen debate we all have every time we take ours out for a look see. Every knife is purchased with its future yet uncharted; I buy one with the intent of using it but then find I can't. Then I buy another one to take it's place in the safe, but find myself aching to at least open the mail with it. The minis just don't give me that thrill. Maybe, once my RKS 5 comes in, I will find something different about them that catches me.

Thanks everyone for sharing your insights. You have helped me organize my thoughts on this issue.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:17 PM

The appeal of the mini? They are just flat out cool. If you have an intrest in collecting Randall's, do yourself a favor and pick up one the mini 14's that are out now. The premium is really small right now. I've seen a bunch sell between 400-450. They cost me 370 and I ordered direct. Since I live in Fl, I have to pay tax.
Thanks for the matched set Capt!!

Dan
Old 09-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Registered

The "Mini's" are really cool I purchased the new RKS Mini and was amazed at how well it was made that said, I like "Fighters" and have but a small collection. I turned around and put mine on Ebay and it sold for $695 which more than paid for my tricked out #1 that should arrive in a few weeks. Everyone is different, for sure, in my opinion the RKS 4 was/is the coolest knife from Randall I've ever seen.

rICK
Old 09-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

Too small to use??

Take another look at the mini 25. I've had a David Perdue engraved mini 25 with an ivory center scrimshawed by Rick Bowles with a charging elephant knocking around in my tackle box for years. Handy as hell and keeps my #10-3 from getting all scratched up.

Seriously, to me they are very cool examples of how really talented the guys at Randall are. Also they are, as the Captain pointed out, very good investments. Of course the problem with calling these knives "investments" is that in order to realize the gain in value you actually have to sell them. That is problematic for many of us.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:07 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum, Rick. A fair number of people collect Mini's because they're just so ####ed cute! And it's hard to argue with you about the RKS4. If you've got Pete's book, he's got an "original" commando on page 88. I'd give one of Moosehead's antlers to own that one

Regards,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 09-12-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Living Legend

Maybe because it is easy to have a "Large" collection of them and still be able to hide them from the wife.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Steel Addict

I'm with you RedElk I don't see it!!! But maybe after we get some time under our belts & have ordered or traded for most of the bigger knives that we like we'll look at them differently. I don't understand the older knife thing either?? I was at my 1st Blade show & picked up an older Randall from a guy just to sell later on. I asked Rick Ward what he thought of it, while he was looking at it Tunefink walks up gets this funny look on his face & before I know it it's going in his back pack towards the price of a knife of his that I wanted, I thought this just doesn't make sense. But I didn't think that there was anyway someone would stay married to my ex-wife for 16 years either. At least if your not nuts over it you'll make a better deal on it 'cause you just don't see it. Then you'll have no prob trading it for something you want.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Steel Addict

I didn't think much of them either, at first. 7-8 years ago, Cap showed me a couple at a local gun show and I blew them off thinking "I can get full sized knives for those prices". (which were about what Cap reports in his post above). I was fairly new to Randalls then and wanted the big uns. Cap told me they would be good investments, and boy was he right! (as he reports above). Anyway, I now have one of each of the "modern" ones and I think they are really cool and will jump to buy any new ones that the shop comes out with. The 14s can still be had for decent prices and I recommend anyone thinking about getting one to do it soon as I wager they go up like the earlier ones have. Same goes for the new RKS mini. (They are popping up on EBay now and then for less than "stupid" prices).
As for being useable, Minis CAN be used, but I'd bet 99% are safe queens. But the same can be said for the full sized Randalls. Heck, most Randallites probably only have one or two that they use, no matter how many they have. (I said MOST, Cap!)
Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast

"...[I}will jump to buy any new ones that the shop comes out with."

Just guessing here, but with the shop 5+ years behind in their orders, I expect that it will be a cold day in hell before we see a new mini issued. . I can't imagine them adding 3,000 MORE knives to their regular orders. Regards, Doug
Old 09-13-2006, 01:11 AM

I like all the mini's,the only reason I only have 1 is because at the moment I would rather have 2 full size knives for the same outlay.If I could have another my dream mini would be a #18 which have got to be about the coolest RMK ever made.

Tags
blade, easy, knife, knives