MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM

RKS "Special Fighter Program" Accounting

On the old RKS forum I thought it would be well received if the Randall Knife Society and the forum were to actually do something useful rather than just talk about Randall knives. I came up with an idea that we ultimately named the Special Fighter Program. Spearheaded by Tom Welch who faithfully and tirelessly shopped for, packed and shipped "care packages" to selected warriors in Iraq and Afghanistan, the SFP was very successful. Upon receiving the packages these "Special Fighters" would then share the goodies with their brothers. Several members generously contributed to this worthy cause. Regrettably the SFP, like the RKS, has been discontinued and I was tasked with finding a suitable organization to which the money could be donated.
However, I have been permanently banned, without cause, from the forum that Rhett and I started seven years ago. As such I am unable to post a final accounting for the remaining SFP funds nor am I able to defend myself against the scurrilous insinuation that I misappropriated the remaining money in the SFP. Most of this libelous "noise" is coming from Tom Glasscock who, to the best of my recollection, contributed nothing to the Special Fighter Program. The new owner of that forum knows all the particulars, he got it straight from Janie Stidham but he chooses to allow the character assassination to continue.
The following will explain the dispersion of the remaining funds associated with the Special Fighter Program. Anyone wishing to copy this information and share it with interested members on the old forum has both my permission and encouragement.

==========================================

A few months before Rhett passed away I was contacted by Tom Welch. He told me that a new position with his company would no longer allow him the time to handle the "mule skinning" involved with the SFP. Rhett, Tom and I discussed how best to proceed. Any replacement for Tom Welch would first have to be interested in devoting considerable time and effort to a project that paid nothing. He would also have to have the honor and integrity to be above reproach. Regrettably none of us had a recommendation for a suitable replacement. Though we didn't discuss it overtly, all three of us knew the inevitability of Rhett's disease and we tried to find a solution. We then looked toward terminating the program and finding a suitable organization to which we could donate the remaining SFP funds. We all agreed that a small support group would appreciate and utilize our donation much more that a large organization with millions already in their coffers. Rhett passed away before we could come up with such a group.
Janie knew that I initiated the SFP and asked me to come up with an appropriate recipient. It also required that I pick a group that would be acceptable to those that have contributed and the members without having a drawn out and possibly contentious debate over it.
Shortly after this Bin Laden was killed and I got the idea to donate it, for a celebration, directly to Naval Special Warfare Development Group (NSWDG), commonly known as DEVGRU and informally by its former name SEAL Team Six (ST6). I live three miles from Dam Neck. Both Janie and Tom thought it was a good idea and my daughter provided the contact information for the PAO for their base. When the helicopter was shot down with 22 SEAL TEAM VI members lost, a Bin Laden "celebration" would have been inappropriate. I subsequently found the Navy SEAL Foundation here at Little Creek Amphibious Base http://www.nswfoundation.org/ . I received a Randall Knife Society check for $5,000.00 made out to The Navy SEAL Foundation and signed by Janie Stidham. I delivered the $5,000.00 check to the Navy SEAL Foundation here at Little Creek Amphibious Base. They gave me a tour of the facilities and were extremely appreciative of our donation. Their entire operation is funded by private donations. The Special Fighter Program money will go directly towards support for the SEAL Heritage Center (SHC) on the Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek in Norfolk, VA which in tern provides support for the families of Navy Seals. We will have two chairs in their auditorium with an engraved metal plaque on the back. The first plaque will read:

In Memory of Rhett Stidham
Donated By
The Randall Knife Society's
Special Fighter Program

I had planned to ask the members and contributors for suggestions as to the inscription on the second plaque but Turbeville has threatened to delete any post I make so I'll make the decision myself.

My hope is to continue to support this worthy cause. Navy SEALS don't make much money and the Navy SEAL Foundation directly supports them and their families.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM

Many thanks, Rick, for posting these details. Hopefully enough lurkers from KnifeTalkForums will take the opportunity to read this thread.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Rick,well done and thanks for your effort.Doing things for the proper cause always has it's drawbacks and critics.I support your effort and applaud your courage to do the best.Tom
Old 10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update Rick. I helped Tom on his accounting spead sheet from time to time to get it functioning[Tom wasn't a fan of Excel] and I hadn't heard from him in awhile and now I understand why.

Last edited by 505Gibbs; 10-05-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Rick
Thanks for posting the details of this, I had no doubt that the funds would go to a good and appropriate cause. It is a shame that much discord has occurred as the RKS dissolved.

Peter

JPFO
SAF
RKS # 5642
Shag #005
Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Steel Addict

It went to a good cause. Thanks

Steve
Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Enthusiast

Rick...thanks for a job well done, the funds couldn't have went to a better cause or a Greater bunch of Warrior's.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast

Great Job Rick!

Rob
Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 PM

Rick, thanks for the accounting. I had no doubt it would go to a worthwhile cause and the one you chose is very worthwhile.

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
SHAG #010

Tags
art, auto, knife, knives, post, randall, skinning