MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-26-2006, 06:37 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutch tip
Addtional pictures have been provided. It is what it is.

You raise a good point about the detail of the description. She is difinitely getting help from someone. She isn't getting that out of a Randall catalog.

Another good point you raise is it may be an errant assumption her husband is deceased.

....And would anyone begrudge her if this is the case?

My wife and I collect coins, knives and firearms, among other things. She is fairly knowlegable of much of our collections. We have already "tagged" which items will go when my medical bills increase and you can bet I have coached her on the value of these items and where to look to keep abreast of info on other items in our collection.

In my case, there will come a time when I am unable to write my own ads, or even be aware of such things. I won't necessarily be dead. I won't "be" a collector at that point. To say I "was" one would be appropriate.

We have been watching the bidding on this knife since day one and following the posts about it on the various forums. She's been surprised at some of the reactions, but I told her this is probably something she should come to expect. Afterall, women aren't usually interested in such things and the internet is a hotbed of fraud these days.

No special point to be made here and no disagreement, just an observation and anecdote on how things aren't what we expect. But if the knife is real than perhaps this lady is too. If her husband is still among us, hopefully he'll smile and she'll know she done good! It's up to 15K with Friartuck leading by a nose.........anyone read a good book on English half log homes and furniture lately??????

----- Tom
Old 01-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in NC
....And would anyone begrudge her if this is the case?
----- Tom
Tom -

I don't think anyone was "begrudging" this woman. I think the nature of the wording in her auction led many to believe - rightly or wrongly - that she was an elderly widow with no real knowledge of what she had. I don't believe that is the case at all as you can see in my posts and Hammerdownnow's posts.

I think this possible misconception led several to "get involved" as good samaritan's if you will. Hence my comments about getting involved in transactions you are not part of. I don't have a dog in this particular fight but it can set precedent's for individuals that feel the need to interfere in other's business. Refer back to my analogy in a previous post of a deal going down at a knife show. I don't think too many would have the testicles to say what was said to her in emails at a show face to face while a transaction was taking place. Different when you are at your computer somewhat in anonymity.

So what we have to consider is every time a real nice Randall shows up on ebay there will be a gauntlet of opinions given to the seller from non-participant "busy bodies" on how much it should sell for or they shouldn't take less than X amount of dollars. That scenario sucks if you are a bidder.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Steel Addict

Cruch Tip

I agree with you 100%

Kent
RKS #109
Old 01-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

Suess -

I think your slant is, well............ slanted! It is irrelvant what approach the buyer takes, it is what the seller chooses to do. If the seller chooses to end an auction early, that is his/her perogotive. You can't blame a buyer for that, the onus is on the seller. Also, if you have to contact the seller to ask them not to stop the auction, you have already lost. That has been my experience anyway.

You are also comparing apples and oranges with an ebay timed ending auction and a real time live auction. Even in the latter the buyers are only gonna do what they are gonna do, regardless of any yelling and screaming going on. Often these folks are referred to as the "peanut gallery." People get excited at these live events, but there are auction houses that don't allow that behavior. You won't see it at Sotheby's while bidding on a Monet.

To net it out is this, you either participate or spectate. If it is the latter I once again say butt out. My .02

Last edited by crutch tip; 01-26-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Several years back, a lady put up 3 Randalls on ebay with buy it now on them. I bought the least expensive right away. Ten minutes later I considered the prices of the other two to be resonable and went to buy them. The listing had been changed to say someone had emailed to advise her to take down the buy it now option. To say the least, I had mixed emotions. It did make me think a bit about making sure someone knew the value of what I have in case I stepped off a curb. I still don't have that totally covered.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Hall of Famer

I agree also. Those who pretend to be "Do Gooders" for do gooders sake should evauate there motives before speaking. Knife show etiquette should apply across the board. But...who else do we have to grouse to but each other. Thanks for lending an ear brothers dear.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 01-26-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:42 PM

Talk about your apples and oranges comparison. I don?t see how you can compare a semi-private deal at a knife show with 2-3 straphangers looking on, with a very public, internet-wide, E-Bay auction with millions of straphangers looking on. I see more differences than similarities. There?s little privacy out here in cyberspace. You?re not going to tune out a peanut gallery of millions. If they say something, they?ll claim a freedom to speak. Know what? They're right even if it isn?t their deal and they hide behind their keyboards. I view peanut gallery comments more as noise distorting the main message. If they succeed in getting a Seller to stay with an auction to the bitter end, so be it. There is plenty of room for the Seller and the Buyer to gain or loose before, during and after the auction. There?s also plenty of room for error in an auction take down offer.

If we are worried about the peanut gallery, why aren?t we also worried about going behind the auction to take an item down early? Is this any better than the person who butts in line at the ticket window and gets the seats you wanted? What would your reaction be? Consider that going behind the auction 1) preempts a few from the opportunity to bid, 2) denies others the valuable comparable sales information from a completed auction, 3) Bends E-Bay?s rules, 4) may cheat E-Bay out of some money, 5) cheats watchers out of experiencing a tightly contested auction, 6) Precludes the watchers and losers from being able to congratulate the winning bidder,, and 7) exposes naive Buyers and/or Sellers to individuals whose intentions may not as benevolent as those who express themselves here. Talk about hiding behind a keyboard. Have you ever learned the name of the person who preempted your chance to bid on a collectable Randall? It never happens at a Randall knife auction, does it?

I believe if you rant about a peanut gallery?s comments, you might just as well remove your blinders and rant about related issues.

As to the Seller, why assume anything; although the discussion has been most interesting. The wife could be 30 and the husband could be 80. Does it really matter? What does matter, is that ?the knife is what it is?. The rest is all hype and conjecture. Enjoy the auction, life?s too short.

Get your play dough out and mold your best deal.

Have any of you gentlemen and gentle ladies seen my keys to the US Treasury building? I think I?m going to need them tonight.

Grumpa
Old 01-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Very best of luck to ya G!

Old 01-27-2006, 08:05 PM

Winning bid was $28,200.00. Too much for me...... hahahahha

Bill
Old 01-27-2006, 08:12 PM

Congratulations to the winner!

And best of luck explaining this purchase to your wife.

Cheers!

Moosehead

P.S. Now I'm wondering if I should put mine up for sale....

Old 01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Skilled

....I have been watching the auction for that great knife and also this thread. It seems to me that even though the internet is an enormously large place it is possible through the magic of Google to find most anything. Anyone who really wanted to learn about what Randall collectors thought about the value of that knife could have easily found this site and the discussion we are having here. To me that just makes all of us a part of the peanut gallery. Any comments made here are just like those comments sent to the lady selling the knife. I personally have no problems with people making comments here or to the seller on any of the many auctions I have bid on for Randall Knives. The knife is what it is and the story written by the seller and the comments of bystanders have no bearing on how much I will bid. Likewise the bidders in the auction in question did not need us or anyone else to let them know that the knife really is about the "Holy Grail" of Randall collecting. If you have a problem with peanut gallery comments you may want to consider that any comments you make here actually make YOU a part of the peanut gallery. And BTW, it seems like every time I am at gun show and seriously looking there are plenty of people whom I do not know who will make comments about the gun I am looking at. Gun shows here are crowded and most of the guns are in cases or locked down with wire cords to prevent thefts. When you get serious the vendor will unlock the cords and let you handle the gun and the nearby browsers notice and start talking. IMO, no harm, no foul. It is just the way it is.
....And Moose, I am not sure I understand your last post. Are you really thinking about putting your wife up for sale?????
Jeff
Old 01-28-2006, 08:02 AM

Jeff,

You just slayed me: I'm dying!

Thanks and best,

Ron
Old 01-28-2006, 09:26 AM

Way to go Jeff!

I agree completely with what you and Grumpa have said.

Nope definitely not my wife, who makes me buy Randalls.

I was really thinking about selling my vintage Boy Scout knife which was secretly assembled by Bo in 1938 from assorted used cutlery parts. It was purchased from Bo in July 1939 by a young Canadian corporal who was buying oranges from a fruit stand in Orlando. Soon after, the soldier was called to serve in the fight against fascism during WWII, where the knife proved to be his trusted companion for over five years.

In 1952 the soldier, now a captain took the knife with him to Korea, where he traded it for some cigars to an American colonel. Eventually, the knife was used it to gulp down rations in the Vietnam War, by the officer's driver, who had been given the knife by the now four star general.

Somehow the knife ended up in a pawn shop in Detroit, where a outdoor enthusiast from Windsor, Ontario bought it and took it on a camping trip in the Laurentian mountains of Quebec. He lost it by a picnic table at a camp ground, where I was fortunate enough to have found it!

Look for this knife to be on sale at an eBay auction near you soon.

Cheers

David, full time member of the Peanut Gallery

Old 01-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Steel Addict

Moose,

What sort of condition is it in? Could you post a pic?

Last edited by tunefinK; 01-28-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:19 AM

God love those wifes who force our participation in the Randall knife hobby. My arm is perpetually in a sling because my wife twists it each and every time a nice Randall goes up for auction.

Hats off to the Wives. Not only are they pretty; they're smart!

By the way, just how rare was that knife?

Grumpa, aka Irving "Irv" Schuetze

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, buy, collecting, collector, fisherman, for sale, forge, gun, hunter, knife, knives, made, make, post, randall, rare, sale, sheath, steel, white, ww2