MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 12-09-2015, 09:03 AM

There's a "rest of the story" here that has never been published: Bernard Levine has always maintained that the truer guide to market value is the third highest e-bay bid. This is an example of that axiom:

The winning bidder at $28.2K was from an enthusiastic newer collector with deep pockets. The 2nd highest bidder was the wife of a very well known collector who was under instructions to bid from her husband who was at arm's length from his computer. She misinterpreted the number he had given her as his maximum bid, and the end result was the knife selling at a price that was artificial and not related to a true market value typically set by experienced collectors. I don't remember where the third highest bid that came in, but it may have been half of what it ended up going for.

I have this information on very good authority. At the same time I can't mention any names, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:38 PM

Smile

Thank you for the background. I think the knife at 6K was over priced, just my opinion. I don't think many knives are in the 20K price range except a rare Loveless, or a Moran.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Skilled

Cochese, thanks for the comment. I don't collect other knives so am unaware of comparative value. Good to cross reference information.

Pictured below is the most expensive Randall sold on E-bay the last 5 years or so. The model 17 went for $7,600. But it is unique in that it is an artifact of the entire 1960s... first 20 or so model 17's for Gemini space program, subsequently carried in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc. As such it commands a wider audience of collectors, especially for the space program,...thus potential bidders.

Re: the subject model 15, the white Micarta is unique... I cannot guess the value of the subject knife but would suspect it is possibly considerably less than the model 17 above because its appeal is limited to Randall collectors.

(note: a few years ago I got to hold Gary Clinton's 15 with white Micarta and three screws rather than two..which was pretty cool. Oh, and thank you Ron for the rest of the story. You are a true gentleman to share your knowledge. Regards

Last edited by Jacknola; 12-10-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Skilled

I thought I would post some pictures of the white tenite model 15 under discussion in the last few posts. This may help future readers know what was being talked about.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ron and Jack for your insight.
Jack, I agree with you about the model 17. I believe that particular one may have been, based on the blade stamp, of the 20 knives sent to NASA during the Mercury space program. Just a slight correction of your previous post where you made mention of the knife for the Gemini program. In fact, it was the earlier Mercury space program. Definitely more historic significance, and in my opinion, more valuable, but each collector has his or her own judgement about it.

For me, that model 17 would definitely qualify as a Grail knife.

Regards, Samg

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, buy, collecting, collector, fisherman, for sale, forge, gun, hunter, knife, knives, made, make, post, randall, rare, sale, sheath, steel, white, ww2