MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM

Greetings

I found this place this morning. I was gifted a forge and blower a few years back and decided I might take a turn at making a RR spike knife this winter. I have tongs, hammers, coal but need to pick up an anvil. Anyway, that's what lead me here but the Randall forum caught my eye. I need some help with the age, id and value of a Randall knife I have. I believe it's a 14 with green tenite fingergroove handle. I realize a few photos are needed and I will take some during lunch. I would NOT say the knife is in minty condition. It has been used.

Questions;

1. Did RMK offer different blade lengths in the 14? This one is about 5 3/4" long, the blade, not the knife.

2. Did tenite shrink? The tang seems proud of the grip on top and the brass hilt is not touching the handle

3. The case doesn't seem to match with other cases I have seen for tenite handled knives. Is it possible someone sent the knife to RMK to make a new(er) case for it? Did/Do they do that?

4. I haven't attempted to clean the knife up. Is it better to leave the condition alone if I plan on keeping it for value? (I know some sxs shotguns I drool over have a better value with their case color in poor condition than if they were reconditioned, even by a professional)

I honestly forgot I had this knife until Halloween when my son decided it would make a good part of his costume as Turtleman. I was on a hunting trip when my wife was telling me how he was getting everything together. I remembered it was a Randall and that these days the knives can be valuable so I directed her to a different sheath before he ran off trick or treating.

Oh, I realize you all don't know me, so a quick bio. I'm a hunter and fisherman. Not great at either but every now and again I bring home a few birds, ducks, rabbits or deer and sometimes I keep a few fish for the pan. Mostly I go to get the indoor stink blown off me. I hope to make a knife or two this winter as mentioned above, hope to chase a ghost of Appalachian grouse, and maybe even boat a muskie. I'm not rich with coin, but not poor without either.

I'll get some photos up and hope I'm not offending anyone with the request for help. I didn't mean to if I did.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM

Welcome,
You're right, it's all about the pictures but your Randall sounds interesting. Yes Tenite does shrink but the tang is supposed to extend at the butt beyond the handle scales.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the welcome Rick. Here are the photos.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM

Edit: Thanks much for getting the photos up!

Last edited by Wyknot; 11-29-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Hi WyKnot and welcome to the Knife Network!

Thanks for posting your questions and photos.

While I can tell you that Tenite handled Randalls are highly sought after by collectors primarily interested in the mitary RMK models, I'm far from an expert when it comes to these. However I'll try answering your questions and hopefully a more knowledgeable member will weigh in as well:

Quote:
1. Did RMK offer different blade lengths in the 14? This one is about 5 3/4" long, the blade, not the knife.
This would be the "Airman", model #15.

Quote:
2. Did tenite shrink?
Rick is correct that Tenite shrinks. It also can crack too easily. This is why RMK eventually replaced this material with Micarta.

Quote:
3. The case doesn't seem to match with other cases I have seen for tenite handled knives. Is it possible someone sent the knife to RMK to make a new(er) case for it? Did/Do they do that?
I'm not sure about the sheath, it may in fact be original to your knife. However, it could be a replacement "Johnson" made sheath. Randall has always provided replacement sheaths. In recent years they are stamped with an "R", but I don't think this was the case back in your knife's day, so it's difficult to really know.

Quote:
4. I haven't attempted to clean the knife up. Is it better to leave the condition alone if I plan on keeping it for value?
You've made the right decision. Most collectors would tell you to leave it alone to preserve its historical and monetary value.

There's a wealth of information that has been publshed about these Tenite handled knives, including books by Dominique Beaucant, Robert L. Gaddis, the late Pete Hamilton (RMK shop foreman for many years), Robert E. Turner and Sheldon Wickersham. There are also many articled contained in the newsletters of the late Rhett Stidham's Randall Kinfe Society. Google will help you find out more information about these publications. Why not?

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 11-29-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM

Thank you very much David. I will leave the blade alone. Now I have to ponder how my deceased uncle came to own the knife. He collected various folding knives and though they are nice, they don't exactly scream rare to me. Maybe he picked it up in the 70's or 80's before the collecting craze got into full swing? I know he lived in FL for a time in those years so maybe he found it there, or later in Virginia.

I don't collect knives, I'm pretty good at misplacing my pocket knives from time to time. Seems I have a few dozen knives yet use the same three or four for daily use. Most of my game is cleaned with a standard Dexter Russell fish knife. This knife has been in a wooden wine crate in a dry closet for the last 12 years. Perhaps I should make a display case end table so I can see it daily. If it's collectible I don't want to use it.

A philosophical question. If I declare he bought the knife to use, not collect, then can I tell myself to part with it and pick up a newer Randall to use? Perhaps if it was worth enough I could buy several newer Randalls and each of my sons would have one to use. Would a man collect just one knife? Would he approve if replacement Randalls came into the hands of sportsmen because of his knife? I think the end table idea might be the route for now. Kids and Randalls probably wouldn't mix. I know I don't have my Buck 119 that was gifted to me as an eager deer hunter.

In any event I thank you David for the information. I appreciate it and look forward to any other knowledgeable members to add their opinions.

Regards,
Wyatt
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Hi Wyatt!

You're most welcome for my limited help.

I understand your dilemma whether to keep the knife as a family heirloom, or to sell it and buy other Randalls to give to your young sons (how many do you have?).

However, if you wish to preserve a memory of your uncle, I would keep it.

Should you decide to sell, I would bear in mind that the market for these is not what it was six to seven years ago. I wouldn't be able to give you an idea of what it might fetch, but if the sheath proves to be a replacement the value would be further reduced. You could always check completed eBay listings, but be patient as there are not many Tenites getting listed these days.

If you are not a knife collector, you can definitely still have a "collection" of this one special knife. You can always purchase some kind of cutlery (be they Randalls or not) for your sons. In the meantime, for what's worth I'd go for the end table display.

Also, if you are made any offers to sell, beware of low ballers... You can always decide to sell later after the collector market recovers. Why not?

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 11-30-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Looks like I need to get some wood together for a winter furniture project. And I guess I should start trying to find a period accurate sheath, bet that will be a loooong process! I'm just glad to know what the knife is. I will write some notes on an index card and keep it with the knife in case something happens to me and the missus decides to liquidate all my "toys".

At some point I may well sell or trade the knife, so long as other Randalls come from the deal. I have plenty of memorabilia from my uncle. We really didn't know each other very well. He was related by marrying my aunt. It does make me realize we'd have gotten along well had we lived in closer proximity. I still use his flyrod occasionally and his pocket knives will likely stay around and in use. It's been 13 years since he passed and if I wear one of his coats that have been in the closet chances are some sort of small lockblade knife will be stowed in a pocket along with a mini bic lighter. I believe he was never without blade or fire.

Last edited by Wyknot; 11-30-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Just for the sake of argument, I'll take the other view. Since the knife doesn't hold a great deal of sentimental value I would sell it and sell the sheath separately. The Tenite #15 would mean much more to a collector who specializes in that era Randall. Even in that condition it should bring enough to get three modestly priced Randalls. The sheath will bring another $100.00 to $150.00. If you choose to keep it, the appropriate sheath may not be as hard to find as you might think given that you'll want a sheath in the same condition as the knife.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM

I agree with Rick: If you put the knife and sheath up on e-bay, you should easily get enough for three new Randalls. You could wait a long time for a period sheath! There have been a fair number of them come up in the last 10 years I've been watching, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the guys who ended up with them are still looking for a period knife like you have.

No matter what you do, thanks for sharing here and I hope you stick around.

Best,

Ron
Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Some of you folks may recall that a Tan coloured Tenite handled model #14 in near mint condition sold on eBay for $28,200 in January 2006 when the market for these was at its peak.

I doubt very much if it would fetch anywhere near that price today.

By the way, a similar knife could have been ordered from Randall in 1954 for a mere $28.50.

Photo courtesy Billy Cochrane of Vintage Knives

Cheers!

David

Tags
anvil, back, bee, blade, brass, collector, cutlery, forge, handle, handle scales, home, hunter, hunting, knife, knives, make, making, material, randall, scales, sheath, sheaths, tang