MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 AM

RK use

Hello,
This is my first post here in spite of I am registered since 2008.
I have a question on using Randall knives. They state: "However, the bevel and edge of a knife designed for cutting skin and flesh are much different from those used to hack bone or other hard materials." Does it mean that the knives cannot be used for cutting wood?
Thanks.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdenek View Post
Hello,
" Does it mean that the knives cannot be used for cutting wood?
Thanks.
Forbes.com readers, editors and a panel of experts rank the knife as the most important tool of all time, in terms of its impact on human civilization. Knives help feed us, shelter us, defend us and assure our survival. It's the most reliable, useful and important tool in human history.
The knife, a truly pre-historic implement, doesn't appear to have changed much in the two million plus years it's been in use. However, today's knives are very specialized. The particular steel, blade length, shape, grind, bevel and hardness of any given knife are designed and crafted for a specific purpose. Can you cut wood with your Randall knife? Sure but it's not recommended and using your Randall for a purpose for which it was not intended nor designed may damage your knife and void your warrantee.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 AM

I'd second what Rick says above. I'd never use my #23 or #22 or #20 skinning knives for cutting wood. I've used my #14 for hacking some smaller pieces of bush, but for anything larger, I like an ax. My #14 has proven to be super tough, and is my favorite big bush knife.

What Randalls do you have?

Alan Grombacher
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Thank you for your replies.
I know how to behave to a knife. I am using knives from my childhood, i. e. for about 56 years. I did not mean to cut a tree with a knife but to sharpen a pencil, cut off a stick, etc.
As to Randall I have not any. But they are very nice knives. No. 27 I like most.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 PM

Zdenek,

Randalls are pretty good at sharpening pencils and whittling. My #4 is probably the one I use most for stuff like that, as it is the knife that I carry most while in the field.

The #27 is a real nice knife. You will like it, if you do put in an order for one.

Cheers,

Alan Grombacher
Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

As already mentioned, Randall makes knives for many different purposes....the general utility and military knives would be the ones that by design you would be able to use most fearlessly, especially the military models...

military knives sold as fighting/utility knives would be expected to clear brush, chop limbs, split kindling, as well as hack and hew a human being, and do so as a matter of course....if it failed for such reasonable uses of a knife sold for that use, it would be a warranty repair....to use a skinner for such a use the shop would rightly call abuse....

as a responsible owner, it would be incumbent on you to use the right tool for the right job whenever available, and as always mentioned, a small axe is a far better tool for many heavy chores which might harm ANY knife.....however, the Randall military knives made the company a legend by going above and beyond the call, and you have every right and expectation that a knife made the same way out of the same materials by the same company will perform as required.

Personally, i have been wonderfully impressed by my military/survival models under harshest use, they hold an edge "like nobody's business", especially the stainless models which have chopped wood and then done fine vegetable slicing with no touch-up....

Last edited by mtngunr; 08-19-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Tags
axe, bee, bevel, blade, design, edge, first post, how to, knife, knives, materials, military, post, randall, repair, sharpening, skinning, steel, survival, whittling, wood