MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered

Randall Model 1-8 1960s Need help with value

Hi - first time here and thought id start by asking if anyone could help me out with a value of a Randall i just bought. it is a model 1-8 with commando handle. 2 tone stone with white " combination crystolon made in u s of a " stone. tan buttons. The blade is engraved with the mans name in it. The knife has never been resharpened and looks to have never been used. the sheath is mint. I think this knife was bought and put away until about 1 month ago when i purchased it.

There is a japanese sword i am looking to buy and thinking of selling this and wondered about what this knife is worth considering its condition.

thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Hi Burning,

There's one on e-bay very similar to yours with an asking price of $1,550.00 and no takers or offers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-and...#ht_102wt_1328

Several years ago it would heve been snapped up at that price. It's just not a good market for old Randalls now. My advice is to:

1. Try to establish Vietnam provenance based on the etched name. This will boost the value somewhat.

2. If you can afford to, sit on it for a while until the Randall market recovers. This may take a few years, but it will happen.

Note: Rod Brown (CLK) on Bladeforums pretty much nailed the era and sheathmaker.

Best,

Ron
Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Registered

thanks Ron for the info .. mine it a little nicer condition than the one on ebay so that gives me an idea of where to put it price wise. I wont put this on ebay because after selling almost 25,000 items on there im now done ...they are too big and greedy !! if you know anyone interested please send them my way.

I appreciate the info

Thanks
darren
Old 06-24-2013, 01:36 PM

You're welcome. Yeah, e-bay sucks because they have no real competition. You can try Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...=randall+knife

Their fees are quite a bit less.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Skilled

Though not an expert, I've spent some time studying this era. I would say that based on the Heiser sheath stamp orientation, model numbers, center keeper snap, and other characteristics as mentioned by CLK and Ron, AND the shape of the clip which is almost model 2-like, the seemingly longer handle, the choil and the guard, I would guess 1959-1961... call it early-mid 1960 to split difference. I think it is unlikely to be as late as 62-64. You have a nice knife.

I ran a quick obit search. The only recently passed Thomas B Martin was from the Boston area. He proudly served in the USMC, and after a successful career was heavily involved with wounded warriors project. No mention of service in Vietnam. He was born in 1937... and given he graduated from college before joining, it would be normal to have entered the service in about '58-'59, serving three or four years in the USMC ... which would correspond to the estimated date of the knife.

He is a prime candidate for original owner of this knife. Here is a link... Many surviving relatives are mentioned. I would suppose that one of them surely could tell you if he had a cherished knife from his USMC days if it is important. You might get them to reference his USMC service record dates, and perhaps even document the purchase date. If you do pursue documenting the provenance of this knife with the family, and get an answer that indicates date of acquisition, please share that info on this board. It could be significant to the Randall community, and a nice memorial to Mr. Martin, USMC.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sou...35#fbLoggedOut

"Thomas B. Martin of Holbrook and Braintree, passed away Dec. 10, 2012. He was 75. Tom graduated from St. Sebastions High School and Boston College and then proudly served in the U.S. Marine Corps."

Value? To be market determined. I think E-bay actually gets better sales prices than some of the other auction sites because of the traffic. The difference might be as much as 10 percent, sometime much more. For purchases there are other sites that occasionally have a bargain ... but volume is low and uncertain. Personally I would far rather have your American knife than some nebulous common samurai sword of uncertain provenance, that will be difficult to authenticate or trace amid the tens of thousands of new-fake-junk.

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-24-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Tags
550, advice, art, bee, blade, engraved, fighting, guard, handle, japanese, knife, knives, made, randall, rod, sheath, stone, vintage, white