MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Skilled

Early RMK sheath research results

Jack and I are going to be keeping an accurate list of results of research done on these Early RMK sheaths.

To keep up with the debate ( not argument) check Jacks " The Magic Randall" thread, or my Early RMK sheath identification thread.

Please post your comments on the other 2 threads, so we can keep this one clear for easy check of results. That way one doesn't need to sift thru an entire thread. If there is opposing opinions, I will list them here with the corresponding thread that they appear in.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Skilled

Observations regarding determination of early RMK sheath makers, Heiser and Maurice Johnson:

Concerning observations of early RMK stamped sheaths in the approx years 1960-1982

1) West facing RMK stamped sheaths display old style serif number stamps as seen on Heiser sheaths with the Heiser logo stamp.**** See below.

2) Horizontal facing RMK stamped sheaths display old style serif number stamps as seen on Heiser sheaths with the Heiser logo stamp.**** See below.

3) East facing RMK stamped sheaths display new style non serif number stamps, as seen on Johnson baby dot sheaths.

***** Observed exceptions are:
1) sheaths that display stamps on the front of the sheath.
2) sheaths that because of short/squat belt loops as seen on JRB 12-11, appear to be turned horizontally as a result of fit or esthetics.
3) ocassional sheaths that display variations of the number stamps.
My observations have been very few of these number stamp variations.

Any opposing views, please list on the appropriate thread listed in my opening post of this thread.
I will adjust these as we go, as new observations come in. This is a working model that we are using to get to the bottom of the Heiser--Johnson debate.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Skilled

1) West facing RMK stamped sheaths display old style serif number stamps as seen on Heiser sheaths with the Heiser logo stamp.**** See below.

Opposing Evidence: 0

2) Horizontal facing RMK stamped sheaths display old style serif number stamps as seen on Heiser sheaths with the Heiser logo stamp.**** See below.

Opposing evidence:0

3) East facing RMK stamped sheaths display new style non serif number stamps, as seen on Johnson baby dot sheaths.

Opposing evidence: 0

4) 1960 provenance for west and horizontal faced RMK Heiser stamped sheaths with serif number stamps.

With provenance =2

Opposing evidence=0

5) Provenance for Johnson East faced RMK stamped serif number stamps=0
**** To establish evidence that's Johnson had serif number stamps

***** Observed exceptions are:
1) sheaths that display stamps on the front of the sheath.
2) sheaths that because of short/squat belt loops as seen on JRB 12-11, appear to be turned horizontally as a result of fit or esthetics.
3) ocassional sheaths that display variations of the number stamps.
My observations have been very few of these number stamp variations.

Last edited by samg; 04-01-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast

Sam,

I give you an A+ for your organizational skills. Your tally system can't be any more straight forward.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Give em hell Sam!
Ronnie
Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Skilled

Thanks TAH and Ronnie for your encouragment, but remember, this is ALL about finding the facts out about these RMK sheaths, has NOTHING to do with ego or proving others wrong.

We are presenting observations, and Jack is presenting well thought out observations, with pictures and explanations. He is good at it, as that is his profession, investigation. Read his observations, then if you disagree, state why with opposing evidence, not opinions. If you agree, please participate so we know where you stand. This is a community project.

Thanks
Sam

Last edited by samg; 04-02-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:16 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
That's what I mean Sam......give this topic hell! Not anybody in particular.
Ronnie

Tags
bee, belt, easy, identification, knives, made, makers, post, problem, randall, sheath, sheaths, simple, small, stamps