MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast

how do you pose a Thorp?......

i tried this way, today......photo almost begs "can you name this movie and what happened next?".........

or a caption......truth be told, i went to a battle today and had folk pose with it....fits right in.....
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Hi mtngunr!

That's definitely one scary looking dude without the knife or the rifle. Where did he park his bike?

To answer your question, I suggest that once you have found the proper balance point of the "Thorp" (caution this next step is very important), gently insert the back of the blade in your mouth and bite down hard enough to hold it in place.

Caution! When posing like this, do not react when the photographer says "CHEESE"!

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 05-06-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 AM

"Them ####ed Yankees had me so busy this week that I was forced to make a decision whether to clean my knife or my pants!"
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM

How about a caption for this one?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade View Post
"Them ####ed Yankees had me so busy this week that I was forced to make a decision whether to clean my knife or my pants!"
them's fightin' words, boy....

Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM

"boy...." ?

A little respect for your elders, please. Last time I checked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngunr View Post
i missed out on vietnam by 5yrs.

Last edited by BoBlade; 05-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade View Post
"boy...." ?

A little respect for your elders, please.
Mebbee you'd lahk to make fun of MY pants, elder......

Last edited by mtngunr; 05-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM

Pants look fine. Your hat on the other hand........
Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

I will do anything for money....except go outside....unless i am posing with machine guns and machetes, like now.....oooh....what's this on my shoe?!.....it looks like....DIRT!!!????

Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Not bad!!!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

not a Thorp in sight....just an ambiance shot.....

Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Ahhhh a group photo of the "good guys."
Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM

Them's fightin' words!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:25 PM

So mtngunr, how about some pics of the "bad guys"? Or was this not a "real" mock battle?

Anyway we Canucks tried to have a massive recreation of the September 13, 1759 "Battle of the Plains of Abraham" up in Quebec City four years ago but a small minority of crybabies (descendants of the losers, of course) forced it to be cancelled.

I'm glad to see y'all don't take it so seriously...

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 05-07-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: To correct the dates.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngunr View Post
i tried this way, today......photo almost begs "can you name this movie and what happened next?".........

or a caption......truth be told, i went to a battle today and had folk pose with it....fits right in.....
Lets see? pretty good impression.

Wearing a 5-button Columbus Depot jacket made of logwood dyed jean wool (?Jean? is a type of weave? a woolen weft goes over two cotton warps, under one, over two, etc. The next weft does the same but staggered one warp? giving the cloth a characteristic herringbone diagonal pattern. Yes Blue ?jeans? are a jean weave, which is why they are called ... surprise surprise... "jeans". The wool wefts are dyed, but the cotton warps are undyed [unless it was a piece dyed cloth.. which was not very common], so you see more white warp on the backside than the front, hence the different, lighter color front/back of ?jeans.? This cloth was regarded as field-hunting, or hard-labor clothing, or "slave" cloth and pre-war was commonly called "N... cloth" in the South).

This jacket is spot on... the collar and cuffs are the proper color and length. made of true wool, not jean. The jacket has been issued recently, despite the wear on the right shoulder, because it is still gray. Logwood dyes oxidized rapidly in sunlight turning a tannish color usually called ?butternut.? The jacket has been hand sewn as you can see by the top stiching, so it was probably "pieced out" to a home for construction, though sewing machines were in use on occasion at the depot (different kind of stitching from modern sewing machines though) ... button holes are expertly done. His trousers are also jean, issue and not Richmond depot either which is consistant, and well made. They are held up by a good set of suspenders with leather button holes, a sturdy constuction.

If you want to know more about the Columbus depot jacket, this is an incredibly researched study by Geoff Walden for the dept of defense... I have the first perfect reproduction made by Ben Tart. http://authentic-campaigner.com/arti...n/cdjacket.htm

The Columbus Depot jacket means he is a western confederate, probably Bragg?s Army of Tennessee, and likely 1863 as the depot was not really fully operational till mid-'62. Dished wooden buttons were not as common as believed, but were occasionally encountered. Solidiers would usually prefer to transfer brass buttons from uniform to uniform. The top button is different? this button is the most often used so the original must have worn the thread and been replaced.

His cap is fairly common, jean wool, properly battered though brim hats (note: NOT floppy-rag-do hats) were more common in the west at this time. Shirt is homespun, and sent to him from home? Confederate depots did not often or reliably supply shirts. But his hair is a bit long. Most soldiers cut it pretty short because of lice.
He has his tarred cloth haversack (more common in Union Army), which is completely empty - unlikely as everything edible or not was carried - and leather-straped canteen on his left hip, and a proper, looks Tennessee pattern, cartridge box? ? on his belton his right hip. The box has no sling -which is correct; the belt attached box was more common in A of T.

His cap box is just under the coat right front for easy access. Belt buckle is OK, not as common as state symbols but very authentic, good solid leather belt, worn, but looks Georgia pattern, consistant with AofT.

He has no bed roll or back pack so he is either prepared for combat or in camp. Encumberances were shed when going into battle. The firearm is a little unusual for the time period but not unknown. At first glance it an M1842 69 cal smoothbore, most of which had been replaced by 1853 Enfield, or Lorenz rifles by the time Columbus Depot was producing quantities of uniforms. He would likely be firing a charge that had a ball and several buck shot, called "buck and ball."

But, the knife is far too well made and new looking. The originals looked like they were made from a plow. Plus, it would not be likely that a soldier in 1863 would be carrying one. These guys learned to lighten the load to the minimum early on. Most War of Northern Agression period pictures with these knifes used a prop knife provided by the photographer.

But, all-in-all a very nicely put together impression... no "FARB" at all...! Here is a company posing in camp?

A few more friends? in the field,

And yet more friends?

Hummm... it must be an overturned captured suttlers wagon ... more friends a'comin..

What the heck? More friends?

Yee-haa... ya'll all come now ya'hear? More friends and now we'uns is a'comin far ya'lls women and ya'lls hogs and cattle too.

If every one carried a bowie... By the way, the last picture was taken at the 135Th Gettesburg. It is a full scale reenactment of "Picketts charge" more accurately called Longstreet's assault. In this picture are approximately 11,000 Confederate reenactors on a one mile front just stepping off for the assault ... this is as close to viewing what the real deal looked like as you can get.

From behind Union lines, only part of the assault

Highwater mark

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-04-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Tags
awesome, back, bee, blade, bowie, brass, coat, common, easy, guard, hand, handle, iron, knife, knives, leather, made, make, movie, pattern, primitive, randall, sling, steel, supply