MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM

You want options, Baby?

I got ur options for ya:

Name etched to a Korean War Vet, this 3-7 has a full 3" double nickel silver hilt, finger grooved shop supplied Belgian Congo ivory handle and a compass in the butt! In the early 50's, you could not get another option unless maybe Bo shipped Jane Russell along with the knife. The condition is nothing to write home about, but you just don't see very many field knives set up as fighters in this era. This may be due in part to Bo discouraging it in his catalogs at the time. Here is an excerpt from a 50's catalog:

Note the comment under Double Hilt that says "but not desireable for sporting knives".

Best,

Ron
Old 02-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Well Ron, all I can say is WOW!!!

That's an impressive Randall with options, and it's a #3 to boot!

I wonder if Bo was actually trying to discourage folks from ordering a sporting knife (a "Hunter" in this case) as a "fighter" style, or whether he was just indicating that a double hilt would interfere with it's practical use?

In any event, we know that today the shop limits one's choice of "chargeable" options to a maximum of five. This has been the case for the last five or six years I believe. There are however no option limits on the various dealer "Specials".

Your post and the above fact has inspired me to convert this thread into a show and tell of pre-option limitation regular Randalls with at least SIX chargeable options.

Since yours is a an early "Hunter" made into a "Fighter", I will start the ball rolling with one of my favourite RMK, which happens to be be a similar tricked out knife.

I purchased this unique blade on eBay in the fall of 2007 after it had changed hands at least once. Today this #3-7 would no longer be possible to have made. Pity, don't you think?

By the way, can any one name all of the options on this knife (chargeable or not)?

I'll offer a a pair of "Genuine Saskatchewan Seal Skin Bindings" to the one who can.

Now please, let's see some of your examples of heavily optioned Randalls.

Cheers!

David

P.S. I apologize for using the two sellers' photos as I have been too lazy to take any myself.

P.P.S. I think the fellow who originally ordered this knife also asked for Julia Roberts to deliver it, but the shop turned him down.

Last edited by Moosehead; 02-11-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:02 PM

Hey Ron, if you're not very proud of the condition of the #3 with ivory handle, you can always send it my way. I love ivory handled Randalls, in any condition And you wont have to pay any shipping!

Dan in Kalifornia
Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Ron,

That is an incredibly neat knife.

Alan
Old 02-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Well Ron, all I can say is WOW!!!

I wonder if Bo was actually trying to discourage folks from ordering a sporting knife (a "Hunter" in this case) as a "fighter" style, or whether he was just indicating that a double hilt would interfere with it's practical use?

Your post and the above fact has inspired me to convert this thread into a show and tell of pre-option limitation regular Randalls with at least SIX chargeable options.

Since yours is a an early "Hunter" made into a "Fighter", I will start the ball rolling with one of my favourite RMK, which happens to be be a similar tricked out knife.

By the way, can any one name all of the options on this knife (chargeable or not)?

Now please, let's see some of your examples of heavily optioned Randalls.
Thanks, David! If I had to guess, I'd say he was indicating that a double hilt would interfere with it's practical use. However, some servicemen with a little "American Ingenuity" would order a double guarded field knife and then "turn their sword into a plowshare" when they returned home by just lopping off the top quillion. This way one knife would suffice for both purposes. Here's an example:

That's one of the nicest (if not the nicest) contempory Model 3's I've ever seen, David! Beautiful piece of stag. Congratulations. I can't answer your question about how many options as I've never ordered a new knife and don't know what constitutes an option and what doesn't. However, this old Randall collector does not live on old Randalls alone: I've picked up a few new ones so I can see how the Model 3 Hunter has evolved over the last 70 odds years. Here's one of them:

It's a 3-5 with a SS blade, Nickel silver squared hilt, thumbgrooves, flawless ivory handle and a solid nickel silver radiused buttcap. I couldn't believe how heavy it was for it's size when I first had it in hand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner67 View Post
Hey Ron, if you're not very proud of the condition of the #3 with ivory handle, you can always send it my way. I love ivory handled Randalls, in any condition And you wont have to pay any shipping! Dan in Kalifornia
Dan,

I used to think there was no downside in you living so close. Now I'm not so certain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Al View Post
Ron,

That is an incredibly neat knife. Alan
Thanks again, Alan!

Best,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 02-12-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM

This is one of my favorite model #3s. I don't own it of course but I did have the pleasure of working on it.
This Mickey Mouse knife is the only one with ivory.

Tags
art, blade, collector, handle, hunter, ivory, knife, knives, post, randall