MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post

Ron, I know you meant the polishing "lines", not the actual grind (shape) of the blade. As you have explained to me in the past, the original lines on the older Randalls go at an almost 45 degree slant top to bottom towards the tip, and on the knives of the "modern" era (approx. 1970- 2012), the lines are much more vertical. (Have I got that right?) The lines sure look vertical in the "Springfield" seller's photo.

David
David,

The slant angle on older shop grinds is more like maybe 5-10 degrees off perpindicular. The grinds on this Springfield do not seem that pronounced, but they still look a bit off verticle to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Ron this Springfield looks unbelievable but it does have scratches on both sides of the blade. When you enlarge these photos they show up really clear. Also if it had been shop cleaned including re-grinding wouldn't that screw up the stamp.....were the Springfield's stamped or etched?
Ronnie,

If this knife was shop cleaned, it could have been done a number of years ago with the scratches put on post cleaning. However, you typically won't get sheath scratches from a Mosser sheath. In the 40's, Heiser would attach the stone pocket with two small nails to keep it in place while it was sewn. Those small nails are responsible for scratching the blades. In the case of Johnson sheaths, the back side of the male keeper snap would scratch the blade. I believe Greg covers the male keeper backside with leather to prevent this. The Springfields were "cold stamped" as the blades were reportedly from left over WWII bayonets (If I remember corerctly). The depth of the stamp varied as it does with Randall hot stamping, but in general they were quite a bit shallower. You can still regrind a Springfield blade with a decent stamp such that it is still legible.

Best,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 01-07-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:19 PM

Dave,

We still haven't seen the start of the 3 months of -30C. Right at freezing right now.

Alan
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered

1972 Randall knife

Seeking information:
I am the owner of a fine Randall knife. I am a retired attorney living in Snellville, GA, and I am a long time woodworker. My close friend, Dr. Jack R. Palmer, now deceased, was a medical doctor living and practicing medicine in Athens, GA, who was a collector of knives and guns. Also, Jack had developed the skill of making knives in his shop as a hobby and I was sometimes called upon to rough cut his knife handles from various materials.

Jack was also a connoisseur of good beer and was quite fond of Coors Beer at a time when Coors Beer was not sold east of the Mississippi. When Jack learned that my family was planning an extended driving tour out West in 1972, he asked me to bring him some Coors Beer. While our car was nearly loaded to capacity with two adults, four children and enough clothes for six, et al., for three weeks, I found space for two cases of Coors Beer and brought them back to Georgia for Jack. He was delighted and wanted to pay me for his newly acquired treasure but I could not accept payment from my close friend.

Jack had developed a long-distance relationship with Bo Randall as he pursued his hobby of making knives. Unknown to me, Jack called Bo Randall in Orlando and asked him to make him a special custom knife blade to his specifications and send it to him, along with a sheath which fit the blade. Later, when Jack presented the knife to me, he led me to believe that Bo Randall himself had made this blade for him but I have only Jack?s word for this. While not a duplicate, the blade and handle shape and blade grind most closely resembles the Randall WWII Model #1-8 ?Fighter? but I can find only limited pictures with which to compare the knife.

The knife blade has only the ?Randall Made/Orlando, Fla? logo on it and it has no identifying numbers on it, which might suggest that this blade could be one-of-a-kind, though Bo may have made other blades of this particular design and size. The blade length from point to crossguard is 6 1/4 inches and the blade has a 1 inch length of cross-blade serrations on top of the blade, beginning at the crossguard. The leather sheath has the ?Randall Made Knives? logo on the back of the loop. Apparently, in 1972, Bo Randall made blades to order but I understand Randall only sells completed knives today.

Jack completed my Randall knife in his shop and presented it to me in the Randall leather sheath in 1972. My knife is a treasured possession and has never been handled or polished, except to care for it. It is kept outside of the leather sheath; both the Randall knife and the Randall leather sheath are kept in a soft ?Randall Made Knives? case obtained some years later.

This is the history of the knife as I know it. I have not made pictures but could do so, though I'm not sure how to post pictures yet. Can anyone add more history from the Randall plant point of view?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 AM

Hi and welcome....

Bo didn't make very many knives himself after WWII. When he did, there had to be a pretty good reason.

Most Randall knives have no identifying marks on the blade other than the Randall logo and possibly something the customer paid to have etched on the reverse side.

There's not much other history we can share with you unless we see some photos of your knife. Please follow this link for instructions from our own Moosehead:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=56801

Best,

Ron

Tags
art, blade, brass, collector, custom, guard, handle, hobby, knife, knives, leather, make, military, post, randall, sheath, sheaths, stone, wwii