MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade View Post
How about a caption for this one?

"Lara WHO?"
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cro View Post
#### Jack you hit it spot on awesome job and information . Yes I am a Tennessean Born here and raised here I lone the history of Tennessee and live in the Middle of Tenn.

Sam

How far are yer from Cookeville or Hixson, Sam?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
The good lookin one.......
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade View Post
How about a caption for this one?

?I always pack two weapons on me. What do you think of this pair?"

Or, if a conversation insues:
Me: "How are you today?"
She: "I'm fine."
Me: "Yes, you sure are..."

Walnut handle material on knives, "handle with care" material on hiker.

Hey Ron.

I acquired these blades separately. I bought the Bear first. I liked it so when its seeming twin model-2 was offered on E-bay, complete with similar commando shaped handle and brass hardware, I paid too much but got it? and they are a "nice pair."

Here is where secondary scholarship, gets me in trouble. It?s because various books that discuss characteristics often do not explain, just avow, and I don't have the first hand experience to winnow the data. The reason I thought the Bear was ?71-?72 or so was mostly because of the tang nut on the Bear. And I thought the model 2 might be later because of the lack of such a nut. I read somewhere that Randall went to the inverted tang nut with the excess ground off about 1971-72 or so.

But after looking around, I haven't found secondary confirmation about the timing, date, or how complete a switch to the inverted tang nut was, including bowies. But what the heck... they aren't Viet combat vets, so the pairing is enough to give them a cachet.

Thanks, Jack

Last edited by Jacknola; 04-15-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Skilled

bear bowie nut

Re: The use of the tang nut on the bear bowie. For them that?s interested, this is a 12-8 Bear Bowie with what I presume is an inverted or reverse tang nut. One book said this method of securing the handle was introduced in about 1971-72 and this method of securing the handle took the place of the outside tang nut thereafter. But absent some additional expert opinion on the date of the change, it probably should be taken with caution. As we know, there are competing theories in Randall world.

Below is a comparison of one the WBTS period portraits with a bowie (of reasonable size) against a Randall Thorp and Confederate. They probably not accurately scaled but the comparison is interesting? can't find much discussion or information about Randall Bowies.

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-11-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

The Confederate Bowie always looked better to me than the Thorp or Smithsonian.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 PM

Jack,

10-4 on buying the bades separately. I know tang nuts fairly well on non bowie Randalls up until ~ the mid 50's, but I have NFC (No freaking Clue) on the timeframe for the shop transitioning from an "outside tang nut" to a "reverse" tang nut on bowies (Sorry). As you found out, there is not a lot of info on Randall bowies out there.

Best,

Ron
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Those reenactment photos are incredible. Fact is they are scary. Very realistic with no automobiles or civilians in the background. I would love to make a copy of a couple of them. Is that ok?
Ronnie
Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Skilled

Any pic on the net is public unless it is copyrighted. Yes you can copy those pics. But if you will google 135th Gettesburg reenactment, and 135th Chickamauga reenactment, you will find a lot of pics, and video. For some reason the 135th were the biggest and best to date, realizing that this year is the 150th anniversary. Regards

PS: I was at both, Confederate, and when we stepped off for Pickets charge, drums beating, tears were flowing in the ranks, and when we closed on the stone wall, the crowd, 60,000 spectators, was on their feet en-masse, screaming and gasping for air.

Sound bites of the video were shown world wide on news programs...

On the march to Chickamauga

Last edited by Jacknola; 05-14-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Steel Addict

That must have been incredible!
Ronnie
Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Skilled

Twin brother, Lonny, me, having a quiet 2013 Memorial Day in Washington DC.

Note the surprise attack by the Special Forces MACVSOG spike team raiding party (above). The objective was a enemy column of steaks on a Vick base-camp grill. I can after-action report that the raid was a complete sucess, the enemy routed, cut to pieces, and the Randall-14s proved their versitility by doing the job.

Last edited by Jacknola; 10-14-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Skilled

Good Photos Jack .

Sam Hooah !

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM

Thanks to you and your brothers for your service to your country, Jack!

I love those photos. That's how you pose a Randall!

With regard to the top photo though, I'm a little puzzled. Are those three lads some distant relatives?

Perhaps...the one on the left is saying: "Hi, I'm Larry; this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl."

Cheers!

David

Old 05-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Skilled

http://thecivilwarparlor.tumblr.com/...n-and-pleasant

"Georgia Brothers- Daniel, John, and Pleasant Chitwood, ca 1861 - 1865

"Description: Gordon County, ca. 1861-1865. These three brothers all served in Co. A, 23d Regiment Georgia Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. Holding handguns and knives."

Those "knives" they are holding dwarf our model-14s. Four of us had a great time on Sunday bbefore Memorial Day walking the mall during Rolling Thunder motorcycle parade. 500,000 bikes, mostly Harleys... being an engineer and micro oriented, I estimated $5-10 BILLION worth of motorcycles.. only in America, God bless her.

We also went to the Eagan Center, the eye of the Vietnamese community in Washington area where they prominently fly the RVN flag, ate at the Nha Trang restaurant (highly recommended), . We were getting pictures taken with the pretty Vietnamese waitresses. A group shot was planned when the lady on the right came out, took one look, said, "Hey...that's my younger sister" and hustled over to get in the shot. I guess older sisters don't like for younger sisters to get all the attention anywhere. Notice where Lonny's hand is?

Lonny still being Lonny?

Memorial moment...

"Men... It's not your job to die for your country... your job is to make the other poor b#### die for his country..." My Patton impression...

PS: yes, that "pose" shows what those Randalls were intended for... we enjoyed clowning.

Last edited by Jacknola; 05-31-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Skilled

Lonny has returned to the west coast where he is the President of SF Association Chapter 78, and is the chief planner, organizer of the great Special Forces Association pistol competition match. It has drawn the top swat teams, teams from all the military services etc and offers an amazing amount of rewards, awards, raffles, etc. Here is a superb 7 minute trailer video for the competition. I assure you that it will get your attention and you WILL be amazed and entertained:

http://sfa78cup.com/2012-shooters-cup-media/

Of course Lonny has to deal with the media, publicity, etc., which can be a tough job. Here he is hard at work two things: 1. promoting this year?s competition; 2. Lonny being Lonny. Note the SF team shirts on this special forces team? my kind of team.

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-04-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Tags
awesome, back, bee, blade, bowie, brass, coat, common, easy, guard, hand, handle, iron, knife, knives, leather, made, make, movie, pattern, primitive, randall, sling, steel, supply