MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Steel Addict

I don't know how to post a link, but all I did was type in Randall Tenite on ebay and it is the only one who showed up.

Sure looks fantastic!!

---DW---

Quote:
I don't know how to post a link
Sure you do DW:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Moosehead

Last edited by Moosehead; 05-20-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:06 PM

Hi Joe et al!

I think you missed the point of my post which was not meant to question the authenticity of the knife, but rather to poke as little fun at the seller's description. I interpreted him to mean that it would be a bargain to spend $16,500 for his # 14 with green plastic for a handle, but that shelling out $28,200 for a #14 with white plastic was not.

I find this somewhat humorous and ironic.

You may be right that the self-appointed Randall police are sometimes too quick to jump on an eBay listing and yell scam, but I believe it is still more helpful than folks sitting idly by and saying nothing. It's really up to the potential buyers to become as informed as they can before they lay out the big bucks for the "holy grails" of RMK, or anything else.

While not claiming to be anywhere near as knowledgeable about Randalls as someone like yourself, I still am able to spot a fraudulent auction, and a bogus or misinformed description of many Randalls on eBay.

Now did you see that great deal for a 50th Commemorative? The only problem with the package is the stained sheath!

Cheers!

David

P.S. DW, PM sent.

Last edited by Moosehead; 05-20-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hello David -

I understood the nature of your post but you can't really blame him for the sales pitch. I suppose he happens to hold this particular knife in high esteem, and rightfully so in my opinion.

What I don't think people realize is the significance of this knife. Probably the most significant tenite in private hands because of it's pedigree and association wth the USMC tests. I suppose that remains to be seen as far as $$ value goes but historically, no question. Opinions will vary but is it obvious what the seller thinks and again, he may not be too far off the mark.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:13 PM

Thanks Joe!

I agree that it's quite the knife, and I'm willing to bet it will fetch in the 5 figures.

(Since it's already at 10K, I think that a safe bet.)

Cheers!

David

Old 05-20-2006, 04:42 PM

Joe,

You make a lot of good points and they are appreciated. It's an interesting knife and an interesting auction.

Grasshopper
Old 05-20-2006, 04:53 PM

"Probably the most significant tenite in private hands because of it's pedigree and association wth the USMC tests."

Joe.....is that fact?

Cracker
Old 05-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

Cracker et. al.,

I will tell you what I know and what is my opinion.

I don't recall what provenance if any Marc has with the knife. I thnks Marc's conclusion is it has been accepted for years by promenent collectors that it was tested in some fashion by the USMC testing board. Probably the best bet for anyone interested is to get a copy of the test methods, requirments, etc.

My opinion is it is exactly what he claims. I think it is reasonable to conclude what the RC test marks and numbers intimate. Again, having the test doc's sitting in front of you may help shed some light on it for any interested parties.

Understand, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, I am just going on what I believe to be true. So, unless someone can come up with a more plausible explanation, I concur with what has been deemed "fact". My .02
Old 05-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Thanks Joe!!!!!

Cracker
Old 05-21-2006, 01:33 PM

FYI.....I attempted to initiate some dialog with the seller concerning the "test marks" but he didn't seem to be in the mood to talk.

Cracker
Old 05-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Skilled

The numbers on the blade are typical of what would be expected of a Rocknell hardness test on the "C" scale which would be appropriate for this blade. The indentations are NOT what you would expect of a Rockwell test for hardness on the "C" scale. They WOULD
appear as diamond shaped indentations not round!

seuss
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM

Well folks, what Seuss says would make me very leery of the story associated with the knife.

Especially so, after reading the seller's answer to a perfectly straight forwad question asked by some guy named Dan.

Both the question and answer are put on display at the end of the auction description, making them public, see below:

"Q: Hello - This Tenite may very well be worth to me what you are asking but can you tell me how you know for sure these test marks were done by the military - thanks - Dan

A: I have no idea who did them...."

To me this is a very inappropriate and inadequate response.

As our own Captain Chris always says. "Buy the knife, not the story!"

Just my 2.2cents...

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 05-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker
FYI.....I attempted to initiate some dialog with the seller concerning the "test marks" but he didn't seem to be in the mood to talk.

Cracker

I never said he was the most personable fellow.

After reading Mooses post, it is obvious Marc is wanting to remove himself from any post purchase scrutiny if you will. He has been selling off his collection for the past several years and is probably down near the end.

Not having any "paper" that says "this knife is this" as Dan asked about has most likely made him leery of guaranteeing anything. He just wants to sell and get out. Understand that he may not be the most knowledgeable collector and the idea this knife was a test knife did not originate from Marc but another well know west coast collector. In fact the same fellow that coined the term, buy the knife not the story. I am not gonna say who as not to drag anyone else that has no stake in this into a debate. In any case, the prevailing thought has been that is what the knife is. Is anyone 100% certain? Could anyone say for sure upon close examination? That remains to be seen.

That knife has been holed away for so long no one has really seen it back east. It would be interesting to get Gaddis' opinion, Hunt, TC, and a few other collectors that will be at Blade.

As far as buying the knife not the story goes, it is all perception and wants. Some collect sock drawer knives, some collect items with provenance, some collect ivory, etc. etc. There are so many factors to consider even after you find your niche. I have paid handsomely for a story many times and have not regretted it.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Steel Addict

Got a call from Moose...This is all very confusing to me... I don't live in CA, I do like watches, I am losing my memory, so is it possible that I posted on ebay an item I know absolutely nothing about?

Marc

Old 05-21-2006, 05:59 PM

Moose and others.......I agree but in all fairness to the seller my question was kind of dumb as he never say's in his description that the military did the testing. I guess I should have worded it differently but I was just hoping to open up some sort of dialog with him concerning the testing.

As Joe say's " it has been accepted for years by promenent collectors that it was tested in some fashion by the USMC testing board. All the seller says is:

"The test marks might be for the USMC as we all know they were testing tenites but never adopted them"

I guess it were my knife to sell (for $16,000) and someone asked me a question I would offer all the information I could. I can only summize from his answer that he has no credible evedence that the testing was done by the military.

Now.....with that being said would someone drill a bunch a holes in a Tenite to make it more valuable? You never know but I would guess if he has owned the knife for over ten years and with the value of the Tenite being only a couple grand that long ago my guess is NO ( although I have been wrong before.......actually several times already today)

I guess all in all after the short answer I got I'm going to just sit on my wallet.....for now anyway

Cracker
Old 05-21-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I guess all in all after the short answer I got I'm going to just sit on my wallet.....for now anyway
Sounds like the right decision to me, Cracker. (But what do I know?)
I just hope you don't keep anything sharp in your wallet...

Now as for the wap trying to claim the dude is some imposter... Well, I'm not buying any of it.

Glad to see you posting again, Marc. We missed you!

Cheers!

Moosehead

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, buy, collecting, collector, fisherman, for sale, forge, gun, hunter, knife, knives, made, make, post, randall, rare, sale, sheath, steel, white, ww2